Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Brands Pricing

Default Local Brands Pricing

Hi everyone,

I was just doing some "Window Shopping" and I am trying to compare prices of Top range models of the local brands , namely stealth infinity and Xplorer T50.

I saw a website www.flyspot.co.za, on this website the Xplorer T50 5Wt retails for R4000 and the T50 9Wt retails for R4600. While the stealth infinity retails at R3400 accross most models.

Whats funny to me is that most of the TFO's for sale on the website retails at less or at most similiar to the Stealth Infinity?

Does anyone have these rods and how much did you pay for them, I am just curious and am not looking at buying the rods, its just the xplorer prices seems a bit excessive?

I know tackle should be purchased based on Application/ suited to fishing styles and whatnot but I am sure a lot of new fly fishers or even old hands will in general adjust their casting action to suite there Wallet and not the other way around if you know what I am saying Based on these prices a Top Range Local model can easily be substituted for a very capable overseas model?

Does anyone know of any other instances like this? I would like to hear some other opinions on this matter.

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Remember that its only the "brand" that is local. The product itself is all imported. For another local Brand, try the Horizon range.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yea also saw the Infinity on that site, I picked up mine from Ganis in Witbank a few weeks ago at R2K, allot cheaper than that website.

Hi Andre,

Ya I know, most blanks used are imported, more a case of curiousness than anything else.

I work for a Trading Company so I am always interested in these boring types of things.

Anycase thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Yea also saw the Infinity on that site, I picked up mine from Ganis in Witbank a few weeks ago at R2K, allot cheaper than that website.
    Hi Edd, thats interesting. Wouldn't mind knowing the margins and costs these different companies use to factor their selling prices.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hi Edd, thats interesting. Wouldn't mind knowing the margins and costs these different companies use to factor their selling prices.

Cheers
    Yea who knows how they calculate that, one would think that a website that has limited overheads (no rent etc) would be cheaper than a brick and mortar site, but clearly that's not the case in SA.

7. Default

Ya I know, most blanks used are imported, more a case of curiousness than anything else.
    Built completely in the east.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Built completely in the east.
    Thanks Mario, not always sure.

Does east in this instance refer to Japan/China/Taiwan?

Thanks Mario, not always sure.

Does east in this instance refer to Japan/China/Taiwan?
    The Stealth I got had a sticker on it made in Korea

Not only the blanks that are imported, they are imported as completely built up units. There are no commercial brands that are locally assembled.
    Hi Andre,

I work for a Trading Company so I am always interested in these boring types of things.

Anycase thanks for the feedback.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast