Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Boobies

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Im not sure where you saw or heard that you need weight on the shank to level out the fly? If you think about it, the buoyancy is in the head and weight of the hook shank/bend/point will pull the arse of the fly down and into a vertical position. If you add weight to the shank you will make the fly sit more vertically and not horizontally.

I use boobies A LOT and rate them as one of the most versatile and devastating tools in my box for both stillwaters and rivers. The shape of the head creates a major disturbance when pulled and causes the fly to wiggle in a side to side motion as opposed to up and down. This disturbance also causes the tail material to move more and give the pattern a more lively appearance. This slight difference in itself will change your fishing! As Korrie mentioned you can use it on top dropper on a floating line to create a wake. This calls fish up and then generally attach themselves to the next fly. They can be used on point on floating lines with two buzzers or nymphs on the top two droppers and create a washing line - this suspends all the flies in the feeding zone. They can be used on sinking lines to keep your team of flies off the ground but most importantly, it allows you to fish multiple layers of water in the same cast. Picture a sinking line on the bottom and a 3 fly rig being suspended on the point by a booby. The booby lifts the top and middle dropper off the floor at different levels. As this they are retrieved you effectively fish 3 levels of water as opposed to one. The most important feature though is it allows you to fish slower on the bottom without hooking ground. This is where things can go south as anglers do stupid things like leave their rods unattended or with too much slack. If you fish with the rod in your hand and keep tension, you will have no more deep hookups than you would with a blob etc.
    Did not see or hear that I need to do so, Fishy, I have never tied or fished them before and simply asked the question. This is very useful info, thanks!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Give it a go, they are the original game changers!

Another trick is to hold a small booby in the current of a pool with a Di5 or similar. Just hold it there and let me know what happens
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Yup... I do this sometimes with a white or chartreuse unweighted wooly bugger, specifically for that purpose. A nice big hopper, or a club sandwhich does the same job. In fact anything big and fat that moves around a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Give it a go, they are the original game changers!

Another trick is to hold a small booby in the current of a pool with a Di5 or similar. Just hold it there and let me know what happens
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123