Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Orvis rods?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Theres always VAT on the invoice amount. If you paid R100 VAT on a $300 invoice, you are lucky, they made a mistake. The VAT should have been around R500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Supposedly yes, but on all the occasions that I have ordered the VAT and clearance that I paid was insignificant amounts. Maybe I am just lucky but it has always been amounts that seem VERY low. I remember my first order was a reel and fly line which was for $300 and I paid something like R100 when I collected it from the Post Office.

    My last order was for $172 and $218 which was posted together and I paid R200 when collecting.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Theres always VAT on the invoice amount. If you paid R100 VAT on a $300 invoice, you are lucky, they made a mistake. The VAT should have been around R500.
    Well then I should start going to the casino more often as they make mistakes every time I order from the States

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Theres always VAT on the invoice amount. If you paid R100 VAT on a $300 invoice, you are lucky, they made a mistake. The VAT should have been around R500.
    Recently ordered hooks from Europe with a couple of guys from Cape Town. We paid no VAT and no clearance. Another mistake

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Oh wow....ok then, I have never heard of VAT being zero rated on imported items.....Live and learn I guess. Perhaps they sent it on a discounted invoice, or as a gift. Lucky you, but if the invoice is declared and accompanies the goods, the chances are good that you going to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Recently ordered hooks from Europe with a couple of guys from Cape Town. We paid no VAT and no clearance. Another mistake
    Last edited by Andre; 19-06-14 at 11:10 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh wow....ok then, I have never heard of VAT being zero rated on imported items.....Live and learn I guess. Perhaps they sent it on a discounted invoice, or as a gift. Lucky you, but if the invoice is declared and accompanies the goods, the chances are good that you going to pay.
    The amounts differ so much from parcel to parcel, all marked with correct codes and correct invoiced totals. Sometimes you are lucky, some times not. Some times it's even more than the 14% VAT.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  6. #16

    Default

    Jean,which shop are you buying from in the states where you seem to pay a low amount?Maybe they have connections?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Jean,which shop are you buying from in the states where you seem to pay a low amount?Maybe they have connections?
    Caddisflyshop and stillwaterflyshop. Dont know if it makes a difference, but I always ask them to mark it specifically as flyfishing items (which it is) I read somewhere on Flytalk that its the right thing to do

    Caddisflyshop's shipping was very good and not too expensive

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Caddisflyshop and stillwaterflyshop. Dont know if it makes a difference, but I always ask them to mark it specifically as flyfishing items (which it is) I read somewhere on Flytalk that its the right thing to do

    Caddisflyshop's shipping was very good and not too expensive
    Thanks Jean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •