Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Tapered Leaders

Ah, my favorite subject MC will disagree with me here but I dislike (very strongly) welded and braided for the simple reason that they present badly by 'dumping'. The added weight of the loop at the end of the line causes the tip to accelerate around and splash the surface as it lands. I also hate the sound they make running through the guides. For me the best solution is 20lb mono thread through the core and nail knotted onto the fly line. I then tie a perfection loop 10cm from the fly line tip as this is comp legal. Id make it about a foot of I could. To make this even better/smoother I add some UV knot sense around the knot so that is slides effortlessly through the guides.

Disclaimer: This set up is meant for trout and not dog tooth tuna! I use braided loops for the salt as im not really interested in how the line presents, as long as its near the horizon.

Coming back to your level leader question, it depends on whether you are fishing from the boat/tube or the bank. If you are in a boat and drifting with the wind then a level leader will turn over easily. If you are on a bank and don't have the luxury of the wind behind you all the time, then a tapered leader is the way to go. My boat set up is 7lb - 12lb level mono or fluoro. 8ft from fly line to top dropper, 6ft to the next dropper and 6 ft to point. The sections are attached via a grinner knot. From the bank I fish 6ft 12lb, 5ft 9lb and then 5ft 7lb.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Helios, a level leader of say 6 to 8lb attached to a factory welded loop will damage the outer coating in the loop over time - although shouldn't break the loop core.
    Use a Trilene knot where the line passes twice through the loop before tying the knot. This reduces the pressure on the loop and helps prevent/reduce cutting into the loop.

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene...matedknots.com
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12