Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: FOTM 07-2014 Soft Hackles

Ya when I saw it , that's what I thought... the orange. Must try it on my next trippie.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Thanks - caught a couple of yellows on a similar (pink butt) about 4-5 weeks ago in the Orange. They seemed to enjoy it.

Incidentally - Over the past few years, Purple and Pink seem to draw more yellows than most anything else I have fished on my little section of the Orange.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Mario, does the glass bead do enough to get the fly down? Or do you use it in a team?

Also, what kind of retrieve would you use with that fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Mario, does the glass bead do enough to get the fly down? Or do you use it in a team?

Also, what kind of retrieve would you use with that fly?
    The glass bead adds no weight, no, so I'd fish it behind a weighted fly if you would want to get it down. However, I prefer to fish unweighted flies to the yellows here, since I cast only to sighted fish. Together with a similar fly as above, (2 flies iow) which is basically a nymph (drop the partridge, add a tail) the yellows come up for up more times than not.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Attachment 23419

Mutated soft hackle hotspot
    Lovely fly.
    Do you fish it "proper soft hackle style"? Across and down?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Lovely fly.
    Do you fish it "proper soft hackle style"? Across and down?
    Thanks Korrie

No, mostly upstream (up-and-across) dead to sighted fish (yellows in this case). Works really well for the water I like to target.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5