Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redington Vapon

Default Redington Vapon

Hi guys

Im reading up on 3 weight rods as Im in the market for one. Came across the redington vapon rod in 9' 3wt. Has anoyone fished with one before? It looks like a fast action rod and it costs R3700. Maybe a good option when compared to the Stealth Infinity or Explorer T50?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

2. Default

It's the Vapen (Weapon) and it is a beast. Cast it thoroughly a few weeks back in a 905. I reckon as a 3 it would be on the fast/stiff side, but it depends what you'll target with it I suppose.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Would you regard it too stiff for smaller streams? Did you cast the one with the red handle or the cork handle? Would love to cast one. Know of a store in joburg/pretoria that stocks them?

If I may interject her......If you are talking smaller streams, presumably trout streams, then my opinion would be, yes it is too stiff, but then I don't know your style of fishing, and I personally don't really like fast actioned rods for small stream work.. If you are planning on making longer casts with two flies, and fishing in the wind, it should be great, but for low wind conditions with a single dry, or nymph, perhaps not ideal, but its a personal taste matter. For the price you should easily find a rod more suited.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Would you regard it too stiff for smaller streams? Did you cast the one with the red handle or the cork handle? Would love to cast one. Know of a store in joburg/pretoria that stocks them?

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys. I think best will be to take the reel and line I plan to use to stores and fit it on a couple of rods and see whats what you know. I actually love the feeling of a bit slower rod but really looked like an interesting rod. Defenitely something else.

6. Default

It was the Vapen Red. Grip is lovely actually, I really liked it.

It would be a great 3 for yellows and larger/heavier flies. It's not really a subtle rod, but you'd have to feel the 3 yourself - I only cast the 5. The difference in the weights can make a huge difference in feel. I think it's a great rod personally.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I saw on redington site that the red does not come in a 3wt version, only the cork handle does

8. Default

I saw on redington site that the red does not come in a 3wt version, only the cork handle does

Give Morné du Plooy a call at The Fly Box in Bloem ... I can PM you his number if you want.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I think best will be to take the reel and line I plan to use to stores and fit it on a couple of rods and see whats what you know. I actually love the feeling of a bit slower rod ....
    Good idea, you may not like it if you're a serious lover of slower action rods ... but I wouldn't be discounting the Vapen for close fishing till after trying it ... for close shots

I have absolutely no idea what the 3wt Vapen is like as a small stream dry fly rod, but I did buy the Vapen 7wt for bonefish because I found it to be far better at close range than my other 7wt rods including the old (and still marvellous) Redington CPS.

Redington is usually pretty good at getting a rod design consistent throughout the rod weights in a range. FWIW, in the 7wt, compared to the CPS the Vapen is slightly heavier overall, softer overall, AND faster tapered. So it's tippy but not stiffer. Also the guides are spaced further towards the tip which shifts some weight further out. All up making the Vapen easier to load in short. It certainly goes long too but the nice part is how easily you can get it going and making good loops for short range shots. Of course you have adapt your casting stroke a bit to cast off the tip But I love it because I don't have to upline for short range.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the 3wt Vapen when you've cast it at various distances.
    The highest form of existence is play.

I think when we talking close range for streams, it basically means like a leader length away, and very little fly line, if any out the rod tip. Bones, close range is nothing like that. Very few fast action rods are very good for close range stream work. There are a couple, but not the Reddington.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Good idea, you may not like it if you're a serious lover of slower action rods ... but I wouldn't be discounting the Vapen for close fishing till after trying it ... for close shots

I have absolutely no idea what the 3wt Vapen is like as a small stream dry fly rod, but I did buy the Vapen 7wt for bonefish because I found it to be far better at close range than my other 7wt rods including the old (and still marvellous) Redington CPS.

Redington is usually pretty good at getting a rod design consistent throughout the rod weights in a range. FWIW, in the 7wt, compared to the CPS the Vapen is slightly heavier overall, softer overall, AND faster tapered. So it's tippy but not stiffer. Also the guides are spaced further towards the tip which shifts some weight further out. All up making the Vapen easier to load in short. It certainly goes long too but the nice part is how easily you can get it going and making good loops for short range shots. Of course you have adapt your casting stroke a bit to cast off the tip But I love it because I don't have to upline for short range.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the 3wt Vapen when you've cast it at various distances.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast