Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hank Patterson's 8 Steps To Better Nymph Fishing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Well not really sure, but if you thinking of what came first, it was sub surface fly fishing... dry fly fishing came much later with the advent of light castable cane and bamboo rods. I suppose the "snob" appeal came with the technological advances that took fly fishing from willow branches to the cane rods and silk lines of the late 19th and early 20th century. But today, the term "purist" is often given to the "English Gentleman" who fishes in a tweed jacket and creel, with a cane rod, silk line and refuses to do anything other than upstream dry fly fishing natural imitations, so perhaps that's what you were referring to.
    Dammit, need to get some tweed then. Does it come in goretex at all? I always thought of it as a dry fly purist, or nymph purist, or Boo purist etc. Guess I am none of the about, just an oppertunist by flyfishing standards . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Purist???... perhaps you don't know that "purist" actually means that you are a nymph fly fisherman. People who fish dries cant call themselves purists.
    I am a purist...I use pure Rapalas and pure live bait...ag..I mean flies...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ha ha ...yeah there have been many, sometimes heated debates about what purism actually is in fly fishing....basically, I don't think a "pure" aspect of the sport exists anymore. I think contamination of the original "purity " of the game, streaches from the materials we tie flies with, to the composite materials used to manufacture rods and reels, to the methods used in fly fishing... but really... who cares, its about being out in nature, and that cant be contaminated by any modern method or materials..
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Dammit, need to get some tweed then. Does it come in goretex at all? I always thought of it as a dry fly purist, or nymph purist, or Boo purist etc. Guess I am none of the about, just an oppertunist by flyfishing standards . . .
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

4. Default

Nymph vs Dry ... AGAIN??? I say the people who argue are the ones that can't fish any of the 2 properly!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Nymph vs Dry ... AGAIN??? I say the people who argue are the ones that can't fish any of the 2 properly!!!
    they using the wrong rods
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I am a purist...I use pure Rapalas and pure live bait...ag..I mean flies...
    And even live bait on a fly rod. Go back far enough and you will find that before there were fake flies, there were real flies...
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

het nou leke gelag vi daai video!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12