Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The power of UV

Default The power of UV

Thought I would take some pics of a few flies and the effect of UV.

image.jpg

Soft hackle with UV diamond fine resin coating. Plain light

image.jpg

Normal light with UV curing torch

image.jpg

UV curing torch only

image.jpg

Fluorescent hotspot plain light

image.jpg

Normal light with UV torch

image.jpg

UV torch only

Yoooo very nice, but haven't you heard, that UV torch is sooo dangerous... you can get skin cancer from it. Im scared to even look at you pictures for fear of some UV esc aping through the computer screen....
    Seriously though... very nice ties.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yoooo very nice, but haven't you heard, that UV torch is sooo dangerous... you can get skin cancer from it. Im scared to even look at you pictures for fear of some UV esc aping through the computer screen....
    Please could the moderator sensor Andres posts by blacking out the sarcastic words...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Thanks Andre. Ill take my chances with the torch

Hey Shammers, full of chirp today as usual....Tell you what, I will tech you how to fish if you teach me how to cast.... deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Please could the moderator sensor Andres posts by blacking out the sarcastic words...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hey Shammers, full of chirp today as usual....Tell you what, I will tech you how to fish if you teach me how to cast.... deal?
    Awesome - I will teach you the fine art of pitching a bass jig utilising a Fenwick bass rod...deal?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Thought I would take some pics of a few flies and the effect of UV.
    Lovely flies. Good job.

I've often wondered to what actual water depth one has to submerge a fly for the UV components in it to really start doing their job.

I tie a lot of UV stuff into the baitfish patterns I chuck for Predatory fish, often caught in water deeper than 5M, and I'm confident it plays a role,
    but it would be nice to find a resource of someone who has actually gone and done the measurements, so as to enable us to determine whether
    they really enhance our flies, or just our tying experience, know what I mean?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Lovely flies. Good job.

I've often wondered to what actual water depth one has to submerge a fly for the UV components in it to really start doing their job.

I tie a lot of UV stuff into the baitfish patterns I chuck for Predatory fish, often caught in water deeper than 5M, and I'm confident it plays a role,
    but it would be nice to find a resource of someone who has actually gone and done the measurements, so as to enable us to determine whether
    they really enhance our flies, or just our tying experience, know what I mean?
    I reckon you don't have to be fishing so deep for fluorescence to come into play. I have done a small amount of scuba diving and even at shallow depths of around 7m in clear seawater with 10m visibility you find that anything red looks brown. Red roman are brown. Any red patches on wetsuits are brown. In dark water such as our cape streams you will find that you will loose light far shallower. I don't actually know any numbers but I would guess in proper dark water there will not be much red at 2m. The same goes for turbid water. Buzzer fishing is often quite deep. You will have lost most red and orange light but obviously not UV light. If you use fluorescent red materials when tying your buzzers they will appear to glow red as soon as they are quite deep. Basically UV light will play a huge role in hotspots in deep or turbid water. I live on a farm with a decent dam so as soon as it is warm enough I will dive down with some materials and see how much difference it makes.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

In terms of fluorescent materials blues and purples are going to play the smallest role because blue and purple light penetrates far whereas red and orange fluoro materials should be quite important
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

From Wikipedia : Fluorescent minerals emit visible light when exposed to ultraviolet light.

So by my understanding, when you consider that the red wavelengths of visible light penetrate into the water column the least, then by using a fluo red material (assuming ofcourse it is a true Fluorescent material, and not just a label on the packaging) in a fly in shallower depths, the red will stand out more than say a fluorescent blue will, at the same depth.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I live on a farm with a decent dam so as soon as it is warm enough I will dive down with some materials and see how much difference it makes.
    That is a kind offer, thanks.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast