Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malgas - Breede River

Default Malgas - Breede River

Afternoon everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has any knowledge about how the fishing is in this stretch of the Breede River?

Does the saltwater species still occur this high up in the river, believe it is 38 odd km from the actual mouth.
    Or should the focus rather be on Fresh Water species?

My limited understanding is that if you get a lot of rain, the system is quite flushed with freshwater and then you should rather focus on freshwater species?

Drove over the pont the other day and it looked quite nice for a breakaway.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Blog Entries

Hey Ulrich

I have fished there a few times with bait and had little success, but thats typical the way it goes with my bait fishing . I hav caught lots of mullet with throw nets, but never seen anything like grunter. I am sure kob go all the way up to there, but I have never caught one myself.

I would suggest making your way either up to catch some bass, or down to the mouth for leerie, kob and grunter.

Best

Jade
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Hi Jade,

I thought the place might be a 50/50 as not a lot is mentioned on the site, but still looks nice for a breakaway.

I will just have to pack the lawnchair,Windhoeks, Baitcaster and Chicken Livers

Did you use the mullet as Live Bait? Would think that would at least attract a Kob?

Irregardles, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

I have a friend with a spot there.
    He catches plenty of cob and grunter on bait.
    Plus he has had a couple of sharks (the big ones) swim past him, a couple of meters away from him, while standing in crotch deep water.
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...0#.U8fK3PmSwec
    maybe not the same shark, but big enough to make sure you get out of the water.
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-07-14 at 03:11 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Maybe should look at taking Shark Tackle, and sliding a bait? I am sure if I use the current correct should be able to move that Bait quite far

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have a friend with a spot there.
    He catches plenty of cob and grunter on bait.
    Plus he has had a couple of sharks (the big ones) swim past him, a couple of meters away from him, while standing in crotch deep water.
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...0#.U8fK3PmSwec
    maybe not the same shark, but big enough to make sure you get out of the water.

On the subject of bait,a work colleague mentioned that the Breede does supposedly have a swimming prawn? I know in the south and eastern Cape Rivers there is a swimming prawn,they use a Coke Bottle with Dog Pellets in which is used to catch the little prawn, and they work quite well on the Grunter. Can anyone maybe shed some light on this wrg to the Breede?

If they do occur in the breede would think that this would be the perfect specimen to duplicate for fly fishing purposes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    On the subject of bait,a work colleague mentioned that the Breede does supposedly have a swimming prawn? I know in the south and eastern Cape Rivers there is a swimming prawn,they use a Coke Bottle with Dog Pellets in which is used to catch the little prawn, and they work quite well on the Grunter. Can anyone maybe shed some light on this wrg to the Breede?

If they do occur in the breede would think that this would be the perfect specimen to duplicate for fly fishing purposes?
    We usually pump for prawn on the prawn banks near the river mouth at low tide, I havent heard of a swimming prawn? Never seen it myself. I actually ate the mullet I caught ha ha, but like I said, I never fished up that high a lot. Only a few times. We would rather drive down to the mouth to fish.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

My success on the breede has also been few and far between, the few times I pumped prawn, the small critters decimated the bait before it could even get to the bottom, and if it got down, just caught small Kob instead of Grunter I was hoping for.

Am quite keen to try SW Flyfishing, but cant justify it yet, need to catch more fish just to get some basic understanding of their habits first.

Mullet taste good, some garlic, butter and Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    On the subject of bait,a work colleague mentioned that the Breede does supposedly have a swimming prawn?
    Hi,

My family has a place on the Breede close to Malgas, which I have been fishing since I was a kid.
    We used to make prawn traps out of empty 2L coke bottles to catch the swimming prawns and use those as bait (traps were baited with bread or dog pellets).
    You can also net them at low tide around the reeds and the green weed that grows close to the shore.
    Caught plenty of kob and grunter and the odd freshwater eel.
    Nothing huge though; think the biggest kob was around 4 kg and biggest grunter around 3 kg.
    The eels we did catch were big though.
    The local guys that I fished with confirmed that you can catch big kob that high up (we are about 40 km from the mouth) and they have taken 30kg+ kob off our beach ...

I stand to be corrected, but I think it is illegal to target the bull sharks in the Breede, because they use it as a breeding ground?

Higher up the river, up at Swellendam, there is also some great small and large mouth bass fishing.
    There are also some big carp up there that will teach you a lesson ...

PS: If you google "breede swimming prawn" and switch to images, the first few results give a good indication of what they look like; there are even a few pics of flies further down ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast