Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Cost of saltwater guided trips

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mpumalanga
    Posts
    156

    Default Cost of saltwater guided trips

    Hey guys

    Just want to hear your thoughts etc on the following topic. Since I can remember its been one of my dreams to fly fish on the flats for bones and GTs. Been fishing around for prices as I want to save up and do it next year. But how do people afford to do this these days? I understand all the expenses etc of the operators, but sho. Only for the rich and famous I guess.


    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Ya, its for the well heeled. People who go on these trips don't even worry about the price. Its one of those cases of ,"if you have to ask how much, you cant afford it". Many of the clients that go on these guided group trips, go regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Hey guys

    Just want to hear your thoughts etc on the following topic. Since I can remember its been one of my dreams to fly fish on the flats for bones and GTs. Been fishing around for prices as I want to save up and do it next year. But how do people afford to do this these days? I understand all the expenses etc of the operators, but sho. Only for the rich and famous I guess.


    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    602

    Default

    The prices are eye watering stuff. But what choice do you have, lets suppose I want to go fish for some bones or permit, there is no chance that I can book a flight to a location and just wing it on my own. You need a skiff and you need a guide that knows the flats and fish.

    Then another thing to consider, my single 9# rod with my R500 reel that I use to catch small leeries but mostly blank is not going to cut it on a trip like this. You need good reels, backup reels, fast rods, backup rods, tropical lines for all your rods(floating, intermediate, sinking, plus backup lines) , 50+ flies that are specific to the region that you will fish. All of a sudden you are looking at another big expense just to gear up if you dont already own an extensive saltwater kit.

    Its expensive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mpumalanga
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Ja I kind of feel like a hobo when I ask what it costs, even worse if I ask if its the best price they can offer. I guess it will only be something I read about in the magazines then. Wonder what options there are if you just fly to Seychelles with a backpack and two fly rods.

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mpumalanga
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by izak View Post
    The prices are eye watering stuff. But what choice do you have, lets suppose I want to go fish for some bones or permit, there is no chance that I can book a flight to a location and just wing it on my own. You need a skiff and you need a guide that knows the flats and fish.

    Then another thing to consider, my single 9# rod with my R500 reel that I use to catch small leeries but mostly blank is not going to cut it on a trip like this. You need good reels, backup reels, fast rods, backup rods, tropical lines for all your rods(floating, intermediate, sinking, plus backup lines) , 50+ flies that are specific to the region that you will fish. All of a sudden you are looking at another big expense just to gear up if you dont already own an extensive saltwater kit.

    Its expensive.
    Ja I calculated roughly that if I want to do a trip like this in total I must be willing to depart with around R100k. The prices quoted by the companies exclude all flights, some accommodation and obviously all gear.

    Note I dont want to rant or rave agains these companies, I understand that they too have expenses and we have to compete with american guys, just dont know how people afford it thats all

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    gauteng
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Note I dont want to rant or rave agains these companies, I understand that they too have expenses and we have to compete with american guys, just dont know how people afford it thats all
    I know they earn more money than us, I too would love to go fishing in these exotic places, the prices just don't allow it. Even a trip to go tiger fishing sets you back a good few rands.

    Thus one end up saving for these trips

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    You could do the Seychelles like this, but you would only be able to do a few places on the main Island. To get to the outer Islands where the best flats fishing is, you need to go to the lodges. Many of the Islands have no facilities other than the private lodges, and you are forced to use them. Its difficult in Seychelles, you are basically bound by the tour operators.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Ja I kind of feel like a hobo when I ask what it costs, even worse if I ask if its the best price they can offer. I guess it will only be something I read about in the magazines then. Wonder what options there are if you just fly to Seychelles with a backpack and two fly rods.

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mpumalanga
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Shite

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I understand that most trips to exotic locations can be costly, but there are other options that are less expensive, but require you to do some homework.

    I believe you could easily go fish in places like Belize for bones at a lower price if you are will to flybum it.

    My view is that as nice as these locations are, there are some amazing opportunities locally that are a good compromise. Such as visiting sterkies, going to one of the trophy trout lodges, spending time on the Orange or heading up to Lesotho to chase some bigger trout.

    I have been to Madagascar a few times and the fishing is excellent and costs about half what a Seychelles trip would cost.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PE, Eastern Cape
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Plenty DIY spots around the world but the mightly rand has shafted us and like anything worthwhile it takes a lot of planning and research. Mexico is a good option and check out the skinny water culture blog to see the unbelievable fishing in Florida that can be had if you have some time on your hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •