Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FOTM - 08-2014 - Hotspot Nymphs

1. Default FOTM - 08-2014 - Hotspot Nymphs

Anyone up for this one? Hotspots don't have to be collar/thorax only imho, but open to discussion as always.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I'm in

Blog Entries

Hotspot or not?

108wf17_1.jpg

Is there a difference between a hotspot and a brightly coloured tag?

30-Black-Palmer-Red-Tag-550x412.jpg

red+tag.JPG

More than one hotspot?

Do you have to tie in a hotspot or are brightly coloured beads also considered "hotspots"?

History/Applications/General Info on Hotspots
    Last edited by redhumpy; 29-07-14 at 09:36 AM.

4. Default

Tags are something different imho, and could be another month's theme. Also, let's stick to nymphs, which do not include caddis or rockworm patterns

Beads qualify as a hotspot I suppose, but that is cheating a bit I don't mind personally, but I'm hoping for a few cool ideas as with the Hopper thread.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Should ask the BCCI if I am allowed to tie a cricket hotspot

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Should ask the BCCI if I am allowed to tie a cricket hotspot
    Will have to refer that one I think!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Also, let's stick to nymphs, which do not include caddis or rockworm patterns
    pardon my ignorance, but why are rockworms not nymphs, I thought the green rockworm was a Hydropsychoidea nymph immitation?

Blog Entries

Rockworm = The hydropsychidae larvae stage.

check here
    and
    here

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    pardon my ignorance, but why are rockworms not nymphs, I thought the green rockworm was a Hydropsychoidea nymph immitation?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph_%28biology%29

No worms ;-)
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    In theory a caddis larva is a nymph i.e refers to "nymphal" stage but we don't really talk about them as nymphs, lava is more accurate same with Midges. I know some Europeans like the Czech's for example talks about caddis larva as "nymphs" but who cares we know what it refers to.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast