Thread: Shimano Biocraft EV Flyrods

Question Shimano Biocraft EV Flyrods

Hi everyone

Does anyone have and fish the 8ft6 5wt or 9ft 6wt Biocraft EV (marroon blank) rods, that can comment on their action and performance?

All my Bass rods are Shimano (Convergence/Clarus) and very happy with them, so the fly rods should be ok...can't find anything on the web really, seems they are not very popular. The Biocraft XT LA5/6 reels is also quite decent...

Many thanks

Default Shimano Biocraft EV Flyrods

I was a fan of Shimano since the Ultegra range were on the market ~10 years ago.

They were light, strong and really good value, and as a combination with the Ultegra reels, it was a pretty decent setup. I still miss my 5WT Ultegra to this day, I fished that rod for Troot, Bass, LS Yellows, SS Yellows and SM Yellows, even caught a few Carp on it and millions of Tilapia/Bream/Kurper.

The Biocrafts came out a few years later, they were cheaper in construction (cork), finish (wraps and trim, good eyelets though) and accessories (cloth bag v leather covered tube)

Having said all that, I still enjoy my Biocraft 8'6 5WT, it's super light, very strong, and ideal for nymphing and dry fly, while my preference these days would be for a 9' rod of newer technology. If they are still priced under R1K for the rod and you're a really really chilled fly angler looking for an all purpose 5WT, it is a good value first buy, you will have lots of fun with it.
    Last edited by Scythe; 03-08-14 at 08:43 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks Scythe

I really like the Biocraft rod only gripe is that cork handle is a bit short needs additional 2cm. I received 6wt Infinity as present some time ago. Would 6wt be overkill for stockie dams were trout is not big, and more suitable for bigger stillwaters?

Cheers

On Shimano Int. site they also have XT/XTR Rods, but don't think they are available locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala Faan View Post
    Thanks Scythe

I really like the Biocraft rod only gripe is that cork handle is a bit short needs additional 2cm. I received 6wt Infinity as present some time ago. Would 6wt be overkill for stockie dams were trout is not big, and more suitable for bigger stillwaters?

Cheers
    A 9ft 6wt Infinity would be a great Stillwater rod and definitely not overkill. The 6wt helps you throw a farther line /better into the wind than a 5wt, which is beneficial on stillwaters. Also not a bad Vaal river rod. This would be my first choice for a normal suitcase "travel" rod for freshwater fishing.
    If you have the 10ft 6wt Infinity - even better for Stillwater fishing & the Vaal - but does not fit a normal suitcase...
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks Gary

Would you say because of the extra foot, the 10ft 6 Infinity is like the 9ft 5wt Infinity in action, stiffness/deflection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gary

Would you say because of the extra foot, the 10ft 6 Infinity is like the 9ft 5wt Infinity in action, stiffness/deflection?

Exactly. While a 9ft 5at is 'normal' for a shorter, medium weight rod, when you go longer, you need to go up a weight to get the same overall effect.
    Gary

Thanks Gary

Exactly. While a 9ft 5wt is 'normal' for a shorter, medium weight rod, when you go longer, you need to go up a weight to get the same overall effect.
    Gary

Thanks Gary, much appreciated

Its weird that with the newer rods and technology that you almost have to overline with 1 to get the best out of the rod. The 9ft 6wt Infinity handles the Airflo Dri Elite WF6F line beautifully. However I also casted a 9ft 5wt TFO BVK and it felt much better with the same 6F line..