Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Istanbul, Turkey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Istanbul, Turkey

    Hey all, I am off to Turkey in around 2 weeks for work, I will be based in Istanbul for 3 weeks. I have done a bit of research and it does seem like there might be some trout fishing in Turkey. Does anybody have any idea of what might be available? distance from Istanbul? etc etc

    Any help would be appreciated!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    I think theres quite a lot of really good trout rivers quite near to Istanbul. If my memory serves me, someone went there recently..Might be Korrie...not sure, I will try and remember for you.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think theres quite a lot of really good trout rivers quite near to Istanbul. If my memory serves me, someone went there recently..Might be Korrie...not sure, I will try and remember for you.
    Thanks Andre, any sort of info will help!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  4. Default

    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Mario thanks very much!!!!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    So it looks like I am off next Monday, if there is anyone else with some info they could share that would be great!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I did a bit of a google search but couldnt find anything Mario hadnt found already.

    Hope you find some fish man!

    Enjoy the trip and travel safe!

    J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I did a bit of a google search but couldnt find anything Mario hadnt found already.

    Hope you find some fish man!

    Enjoy the trip and travel safe!

    J
    Thanks Jade!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  9. #9

    Default

    I'm not sure if you have read Prosek's "Trout of the World" but in it he describes trout from 7 places in Turkey.

    The closest to Istanbul appear to be:

    1. brown trout he caught in 1997 in the Manastir Brook in western Turkey near Edremit (Google Maps shows this is a 507 km drive or a 50 minute flight from Instanbul). "All the fish we caught in this stream also exhibited an elongated spot posterior to each eye, which seen from above look as though they could be false eyes."

    2. Platycephalus trout, Salmo platycephalus although more recent studies suggest it is closely related to brown trout of the Adriatic basin. The name alludes to its slightly elongated and flat skull. Found in the Soguksu stream ("an even-flowing spring creek that wound lazily through cow pastures and meadows of tall grass") and Karagoz stream near Pinarbasi (Google Maps suggests a 485 km drive from Istanbul). Said to be found in abundant numbers in 2002.

    3. a small isolated population of a brown trout subgenus Salmo trutta abanticus found in a small alpine lake called Abant Lake in north west Turkey (which if I have the right lake appears to be 279 km from Istanbul).

    Otherwise Prosek says "there are several beautiful trout streams emerging from the Toros Mountains of southern Turkey (826 km drive from Istanbul) and he refers to the Kapuz, Kopru and Tarsus Rivers.

    The other trout are all found in eastern Turkey and a million miles away.

    Happy hunting!
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    I'm not sure if you have read Prosek's "Trout of the World" but in it he describes trout from 7 places in Turkey.

    The closest to Istanbul appear to be:

    1. brown trout he caught in 1997 in the Manastir Brook in western Turkey near Edremit (Google Maps shows this is a 507 km drive or a 50 minute flight from Instanbul). "All the fish we caught in this stream also exhibited an elongated spot posterior to each eye, which seen from above look as though they could be false eyes."

    2. Platycephalus trout, Salmo platycephalus although more recent studies suggest it is closely related to brown trout of the Adriatic basin. The name alludes to its slightly elongated and flat skull. Found in the Soguksu stream ("an even-flowing spring creek that wound lazily through cow pastures and meadows of tall grass") and Karagoz stream near Pinarbasi (Google Maps suggests a 485 km drive from Istanbul). Said to be found in abundant numbers in 2002.

    3. a small isolated population of a brown trout subgenus Salmo trutta abanticus found in a small alpine lake called Abant Lake in north west Turkey (which if I have the right lake appears to be 279 km from Istanbul).

    Otherwise Prosek says "there are several beautiful trout streams emerging from the Toros Mountains of southern Turkey (826 km drive from Istanbul) and he refers to the Kapuz, Kopru and Tarsus Rivers.

    The other trout are all found in eastern Turkey and a million miles away.

    Happy hunting!
    Hi Justin,

    Thanks so much for the info, so it does seem like there are plenty of trout around. If I manage to find my way onto a stream or lake I will definitely report back.

    Kind regards,
    Matt
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •