Thread: Buzzer box

Default Buzzer box

How about this buzzer/chironomid box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If he closed the gaps between flies and used a slit foam box, he'd be able to add more!

Amazing how the guys that are good at buzzer fishing think the rest of the fly fishers are crazy not to fish more buzzers and the guys that dont fish buzzers think that the guys that are only fishing buzzers must be crazy to fish only buzzers .
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Amazing how the guys that are good at buzzer fishing think the rest of the fly fishers are crazy not to fish more buzzers and the guys that dont fish buzzers think that the guys that are only fishing buzzers must be crazy to fish only buzzers .
    After reading this post....my head is buzzing!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I think the reason why many people don't fish buzzers, is because its easier to strip fritzes, and attractors etc. With buzzers, one needs to understand depth fishing, and with most people who don't even know how to fish a descent index.... who can blame them.? Buzzer fishing is just too technical for the average guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I really don't do enough buzzer fishing. One thing I really like about it is that you never know what size of fish you will hook next. On big stillwaters most of the fish are stocked as fingerlings and grow on to a large size naturally so you can hardly call them stockies. When you pull fritzes you target the younger fish whereas when you are fishing with buzzers you are targeting the whole range of sizes of fish in the dam. It can be great fun.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

http://www.flyandlure.org/how-to-fis...ers-for-trout/
    This is quite an interesting write up on buzzer fishing, although not all of it is going to apply to our local conditions, it does give a good idea on what it is about. He makes it sound so easy, when in actual fact buzzer fishing is quite difficult to fully understand all the elements at play.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

I was in doubt of how exciting buzzer fishing would be, but the only way I learnt this was by being forced to fish them.

It was our last day at HL last year and the wind was pumping so hard over the dam wall that you couldnt back cast at all. Theuns Botha and I hid behind the wall and literally just tossed up a washing line of buzzers with a bobber into the air above us and it was blown about 10metres into the dam. We caught about 10 fish in a few hours, some just shy of 9 pounds! I couldnt believe these hulking beasts would just cruise the banks, sometimes a metre from the side and pick off these tiny buzzers. It was also strange how they keyed into a particular colour. I tied some with an olive thread body and then wrapped flasdabou up the shank and then UV-epoxied, with the typical head and cheeks. They only ate that one, didnt touch the read or black at all. Basically I am now a convert, if its touch fishing or I am on a bit of a sit down break, I rig up some buzzers and relax.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/