Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: NZ on a 5-year plan

Yeah great pics and fish Kevin! We're you on the NI or SI? I am guessing NI?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Cheers Kev -
    Lot of fun for sure.
    Getting a bit into this fresh stuff again, although there is a lot of salt again on the horizon next year.
    Must make a plan and catch up along the way - just so much fishing though.

Darryl mate - yep, bit of both islands.
    Early stuff was south and then headed north with a mate.
    South was diabolical weather wise to start, but got better by the time we needed to move.
    Found some amazing new waters - big fish in seriously skinny water and they just loved small dries!
    The north was back country stuff - choppered in and fished to a standstill for a few days.
    Had my chances on huge fish, but they were too good unfortunately.

Right, so it has been 164 days since I made the decision, and 1899 days to still go Must say, in the time that I have spent on getting myself educated on NZ, it has been a great experience so far. I made little categories/chunks to research and tick off in a systematic attempt to not miss anything in the (lots of) time still ahead. Which rods I will build, and a special net for myself has taken the last (predominant chunk) 2 years of the list, since I reckon I'll need about a year to throw the 3 rods and get used to casting them etc etc etc.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Out of interest Mario, what three rods were you thinking of taking? Personally I thought it was just a 5wt game. I would like to take an Epic 5wt, my Sage 5wt LL and a Helios 2 5wt. I would love to see my 2wt SPL or 4wt SP to see some action in SI.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Out of interest Mario, what three rods were you thinking of taking? Personally I thought it was just a 5wt game. I would like to take an Epic 5wt, my Sage 5wt LL and a Helios 2 5wt. I would love to see my 2wt SPL or 4wt SP to see some action in SI.

J
    I'm getting 2 x H&H blanks, both #5, but one in a 10' and the other in a 9'. The 9'0 will be a really fast stick (lining with a #6 as was the suggestion) and the 10' will be a medium/fast action. If funds allow I'll also get a 7-piece blank in a 905, but that will be a luxury. The 3rd rod will probably be my 710-4 TXL-F for tighter streams. Maybe the 73-4 glass will also make the trip :-D
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Take only 2 rods, you will probably return, having fished one only for the whole trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Take only 2 rods, you will probably return, having fished one only for the whole trip.
    Jip, but I won't like to be stuck without options once there. Taking 2 rods extra won't make a difference to the rod case that I will be taking.
    Mario Geldenhuys

PS: Gerrit is selling leaders at bargain prices, take a couple 100, for back up.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    PS: Gerrit is selling leaders at bargain prices, take a couple 100, for back up.
    If they'll fit into the 1 rodcase that can take 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 rods, and that I have to take regardless, I definitely will, thank you.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario - there's a few photo's for you in a new album I put up.

South Island New Zealand.

How long to go??

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast