Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orange River Yellowfish Trip

Default Orange River Yellowfish Trip

Hi Guys,

We still have some openings on an upcoming yellow fish trip to Hunter Fisher Camp on the Orange river. A well run operation by Jacques Marais. Two of the guys will be flying up from Cape Town to Kimberley, so there is an opportunity to share transfer/car rental costs to the camp. Personally I will be driving up in my bakkie and have some space (share costs). Will also be great to meet some of the guys upcountry.

The plan is to fish for smallies on the Thursday then do a drift on the Friday for those who want to and then fish for largies and/or smallies on the Saturday. Expert help will be readily available.

Trip Date - 17th to 21st September (Wednesday to Sunday)

Costs - R 4950.00 pp

Attached is more information, contact Philip for bookings.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 13-08-14 at 12:48 PM.

Some more pics. Just to mention, you will stay in your own tent with bedding provided.

Last edited by FlyCraft; 13-08-14 at 01:25 PM.

I did this trip a few months ago and the fishing was great! We caught heeps of good sized yellows. The camp is really comfortable and is a quick boat trip away from the fishing grounds. The food was very good and the bush camp vibe is awesome.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Hi Guys,

I had the privilege to fish with Jacques at his camp in October last year. My good buddy Bjorn and I were the only fishermen attending the camp and this allowed us to spent quality time with Jacques on the river. I've learned so much from Jacques and the fishing was amazing over the 4 days. This was one of my best fishing trips after New Zealand :biggrin:

You guys will be in good hands and the crew will look well after you.

Enjoy!

Some photos of the Trip:

IMG_0020b.jpg

yellow 2.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2239b.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_0011c.jpg

IMG_0036b.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0009b.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg
    Last edited by dleroux; 14-08-14 at 10:50 AM.
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

Awesome looking trip dude!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Looks nice!

Ps. I still say JM looks funky kief in ski-pants of to Mr Price I go! :wink:
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-08-14 at 06:36 PM.

Hi Guys,
    Just came back yesterday from the Hunterfisher camp on the Orange. We had an absolutely stunning trip, well organised camp, great guys and even better memories.

The trip started slow with recent cold front having quite a significant impact on the fishing. Thursday we had max temperatures of around 15 degrees Celsius dropping to almost zero in the evening accompanied by a strong wind. We still caught fish but it was nothing compared to how the trip ended.

The camp is very comfortable with a hot shower, communal dining area, fire place and pub. We stayed in single tents with ample space and high enough to stand up straight.

Jacques and his three assistants – Ruan, Francois and Jacob are great hosts and truly went out of their way to make this trip special. Jacques also has an intimate knowledge of the river with fishing skills to match and on numerous occasions this knowledge got us into fish.

On Friday we drifted the river from 15 km’s upstream, fishing all the great spots along the way, with some rapids to add a bit of extra flavor – great day! We also had a braai next to the river. The amount and varity of water was astonishing – rapids, riffles, runs and deep pools.

The trip ended with a visit to the Vaal, this is the clearest I have seen the Vaal. There was ample sight fishing opportunity with some dry fly action in-between. At one stage 4 of us were into fish at the same time, just to give an indication of how many fish were around. At times it was cast for cast and you either hook a fish or get a take.

Thank you to Jacques and his crew – Francois, Ruan and Jacob. Also Dave, Grant, Bruce, Ernst, Billy and Neelis for a special trip.

Grant with a yellow

Hunterfisher camp 1

Hunterfisher camp 2

Safety talk before the drift

At the launch - 15kms upstream

Fishing all the good spots along the way

Along the way

After a great day on the water

Kudu Bull

Heading Home

This stop offers 1km + of stunning water....

.....and yellows

The Vaal and Orange are such special rivers to fish.
    Big rivers, with big strong fish that readily takes flies.
    we are really lucky to have such fishing available to us
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The Vaal on Jacques' doorstep

The Vaal almost too clear

Jacques and Ruan

Bruce into a fish

Visit Hunetrfishers Facebook page for more pictures - https://www.facebook.com/flyfishinga.../photos_stream

I will also post more pics from the others as soon as I receive it.
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 22-09-14 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast