Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???

Default Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???

Guys

I want to ask a plain and simple question here.
    What are you willing to pay per day to catch Trout in the Berg? Let's say accommodation and fishing included per person per day?

R150-R300 per person per day?
    R300-R400 per person per day?
    R400 and more per person per day?

I am asking this as I got the shock of my life over the weekend.
    I see that the norm these days is lets say R400 per person per day and then they charge a minimum charge of 3 persons per night. I am not stingy, but this is just beyond my reach paying a R1200 per night for myself and my wife or either myself and a fishing buddy.

I also want to mention that this place has no DSTV, No Tumble Dryer, No Washing Machine, No Cell Reception(Thank goodness for this one), No bath, just shower, etc.

So where does one draw the line? Does these type of rates mean that the days of chalets/cottages is now beyond the means of the average Fly Fisher? Does this mean that you now have to resort to camping and maybe buying one of those camper trailer jobbies so that you have everything at hand?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Let's say accommodation and fishing included per person per day?

R150-R300 per person per day?
    At rates like those that include accommodation AND fishing, please let me know where!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Just booked my annual December trip to a 'berg venue, was looking at a "fishing holiday" works out to about R1000/day with 4 people = R250/day each ... not to bad

However, ended up deciding to go with the family which comes to R870/day ... all for my account.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

To me it depends on the accommodation you are getting. I like looking for the cheapest option which is always camping... But I dont mind paying a bit every now and then if its going to be proper accommodation.
    There is no ways I would pay R1200 a night for what you described though. I think up to about R400 is reasonable just depends on what you are getting.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

I have found the places that list fly fishing in the same list as bird watching, mountain biking, horse rides etc, I leave my rods at home. You end up next to a dam that was stocked in 1956, and the only thing you catch are fingerling bass.
    I joined the NFFC 2 years ago. R500 a year (plus 500 joining fee the first year).
    I now stay at sheltered vale, R900 for four people p.n. Or at kamberg nature reserve, same price. Even if you do two trips a year, it is still worth it. The wife and kids have lots to do, and you have access to some top class waters. Sneak out early for a morning session, and then do a late afternoon session again. Looking for some new places at reasonable prices. Will keep you updated.
    catch and release

Well... these places target themselves at a particular market that can absorb their prices. It depends on the perception of value. If the client thinks he's getting value, then its a good deal. If you don't think its value, don't go there...simple, but don't bleat about the prices. If they are successful, and they are filling rooms, then its obviously good value. If they are always empty and no one goes there...ask yourself why.
    Who needs facilities anyway? I don't care about cell signal, DSTV, etc etc... The places I go to on the orange, don't even have a toilet, you have to dig a hole and burn your bog paper, there isn't even a road, you have to paddle for hours to get there, take all you supplies on a small cramped canoe. DSTV is the normal "bush tv", and as for cell signal, all phones get left back at the base, 30 k"s away, yet I would rather go there for whatever it costs than to some budget place next to a stockie puddle.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Well... these places target themselves at a particular market that can absorb their prices. It depends on the perception of value. If the client thinks he's getting value, then its a good deal. If you don't think its value, don't go there...simple, but don't bleat about the prices. If they are successful, and they are filling rooms, then its obviously good value. If they are always empty and no one goes there...ask yourself why.
    Who needs facilities anyway? I don't care about cell signal, DSTV, etc etc... The places I go to on the orange, don't even have a toilet, you have to dig a hole and burn your bog paper, there isn't even a road, you have to paddle for hours to get there, take all you supplies on a small cramped canoe. DSTV is the normal "bush tv", and as for cell signal, all phones get left back at the base, 30 k"s away, yet I would rather go there for whatever it costs than to some budget place next to a stockie puddle.
    Sounds like my kind of place
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

I am willing to pay up to R400.00 a day for GOOD Fishing.
    Dams that are properly stocked (good spread of fish sizes, small to the odd very large fish) Fish should be stocked as fingerlings and then "grow" in the dam.
    Good food chain etc.

The unfortunate part is that the majority of the dams, are stocked on a haphazardous basis, with no proper knowledge of how many and the food chain etc.
    Some places throws every Friday, before the guest arrive a couple of 30 to 35cm fish in the dam and the guests should be happy.
    In SA, there are probably 10 or 15 dams that are stocked in the correct way with the right amount of biomass, food chain etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

My Trout fishing is mainly in the Drakensberg these days.
    We all know how cheap it is to fish inside the Reserves in KZN.
    The problem is that the Chalets inside these Reserves are expensive as I feel they charge Tourist rates and not all of these Reserves have camping facilities.

You could get a Self Catering place or even a B&B somewhere in the Central Berg and use that as your base and fish all the streams that you want to. I have no problem paying R400/day for myself but R1200 per day is not going to happen.

I am seriously considering getting my camping gear sorted for hike and fish trips as well as for park/camp and fish.

It's the Park/Camp/Fish Trips that I would like to take my wife and boys along.
    The Berg Hike/Fish trips is something I would do with one or two mates and then I have no problem roughing it out for a couple of days.

But yet again I can not get myself to pay R1200/night for a Place with no luxuries.

Had awesome times at Walkersons in the past you pay 1k a pop / day and have lots included....even good fishing so it depends on what you're willing to pay for the experience!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast