Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for Communities Thought ! Monitoring the Vaal River system.

1. Thumbs up Food for Communities Thought ! Monitoring the Vaal River system.

Hi Guys

Over the last few months there has been many reports of the Vaal water being polluted and or just in a very bad state and not good for fishing at all. The worst part in recently there was reports of people getting sick of just being in the water!( Vaal update thread). This got me thinking if there is a way we can monitor the Vaal remotely and not have to rely on our wonderful government for information that might or might not be accurate.

I would like to get input on an idea I have and did some research on to see if it is feasible or if the information gathered would actually be of interest to anyone before I start with the project.

The plan is to develop a standalone water and environmental quality monitor that reports back information on a daily bases for anyone to access via the web. This device would will report on the temperature of the water, Visibility of the water, dissolved Oxygen and PPM (part per million) water clarity. These units could then be placed at all the local fly fishing hot spots with consent of the land owners and be assemble by anyone who subscribes to the project. So on a Friday you feel that you are ready for a break away you can login and monitor all the vitals of every fishing spot along the river and decide wish has the best chance of getting fish.

This is only the beginning however, after a while by logging this information it will start to become clear where and which time of the year the river is polluted and an estimate could be taken of where the river is being polluted.

A project like this if started now could be ready for field test by as early as January 2015 and cost per unit would be in the region of R5000 per unit. This is off-course excluding installation and development but it gives you a good idea of the cost involved.

What are your thoughts on the Idea and if you agree in principle what method or suggestion could you make on funding something like this?

Hope to hear from you
    Johann
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

Blog Entries

We can monitor and report until we blue in the face, it helps F- all! Our University has a huge water technology section, we monitor from Chrissiesmeer to Bloemhof weekly and report this. The river is siff, very very siff. From the Vaaldam to Potch it is like wading in a longdrop. The waterworks outside Parys for instance has been non functioning for years. Reporting and monitoring is one thing, getting the people responsible to do anything apart from updating their CV's with another non existing degree is another.

i don't need anyone to tell me how siff the river is, I know pretty well it is beyond saving. The funny thing however is the people always saying "we need good rain to flush the river" when it actually worsens the situation. As settlements grow around streams these streams becomes seriously polluted with cr@p! When we get good rains, the streams flows into the Vaal and leaves a skidmark running through the dome.

what we need is a good flush of the population. If mother earth wipes out 80% of the world's population there will still be to damn many people.

have a look what the next "flush" is bringing. The ecoli count is scary, very very scary.

http://www.reservoir.co.za/forums/va...pr-Jun2014.pdf
    Last edited by redhumpy; 20-08-14 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    The funny thing however is the people always saying "we need good rain to flush the river" when it actually worsens the situation. As settlements grow around streams these streams becomes seriously polluted with cr@p! When we get good rains, the streams flows into the Vaal and leaves a skidmark running through the dome.
    Exactly...

Uncontrolled influx of stormwater (read : sh!twater) only worsens the situation, people seem to be oblivious to the fish kills coinciding with the "flushes"
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

4. Default

Lol Redhumpy why don't you tel us how you really feel ! Hehe I know exactly what you mean I was a resident of parys for a few years my self , all I'm trying establise with this system is just give people an indication of the state of the river when they want to go fishing, this must have some value ..... Unless you telling me you will never fish in the Vaal again ?
    Last edited by Johann; 20-08-14 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    We can monitor and report until we blue in the face, it helps F- all! Our University has a huge water technology section, we monitor from Chrissiesmeer to Bloemhof weekly and report this. The river is siff, very very siff. From the Vaaldam to Potch it is like wading in a longdrop. The waterworks outside Parys for instance has been non functioning for years. Reporting and monitoring is one thing, getting the people responsible to do anything apart from updating their CV's with another non existing degree is another.

i don't need anyone to tell me how siff the river is, I know pretty well it is beyond saving. The funny thing however is the people always saying "we need good rain to flush the river" when it actually worsens the situation. As settlements grow around streams these streams becomes seriously polluted with cr@p! When we get good rains, the streams flows into the Vaal and leaves a skidmark running through the dome.

what we need is a good flush of the population. If mother earth wipes out 80% of the world's population there will still be to damn many people.

have a look what the next "flush" is bringing. The ecoli count is scary, very very scary.

http://www.reservoir.co.za/forums/va...pr-Jun2014.pdf
    humpy, where would you recomend to go fish the vaal, only places I know are between parys and potch? Thanks

6. Default

Hi Edd

The only places I know of or fish atleast is between . Vaal dam and parys, I know shit don't flow upstream but the usual pollution Is in the water anyway anywhere with our friendly native locals everywhere

7. Default

No one interested? Mmm

Good luck mate, I know what its like to try and get the fly fishing community involved in environmental work. Everyones quite happy to moan and complain, but when someone asks them to put their hands up, ...they gone. Funny that, always seems to be the ones who moan the most, who are the first to find the door. The problem with environmental work, is that its a sacrifice, and sacrifices don't feed the egos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    No one interested? Mmm
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

9. Default

I don't this it's that (in this case). The problem is (as RooiHompie mentioned) that most likely this study/info will fall on deaf ears.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yes, you are right, I realise that, but generally speaking, its not easy to get the community involved. When the hiking or mountain climbers need to get something environmentally done... they get hundreds of volunteers in the Cape, they have to turn volunteers away sometimes. Don't know what it is with fly fishers in general that they aren't prepared to do stuff for the better of their resources. Anyway, I suppose its the way it is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I don't this it's that (in this case). The problem is (as RooiHompie mentioned) that most likely this study/info will fall on deaf ears.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast