Thread: Sterkfontein shoe / wading boots

Default Sterkfontein shoe / wading boots

What shoe / boot is best for Sterkfontein as you can cover huge distances by foot in a day?
    It should also be used for wading as you sometimes have to enter the water.

a boat :tongue:

I agree with Edd, I fish Sterkies barefoot.....from my boat :wink:

But if you are fishing from the bank you don't even need wading boots. Rather take a good pair of comfortable walking/hiking shoes. You can walk some serious miles there... And when you do enter the water there is nothing slippery to necessitate felt or vibram soles
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Gertvw View Post
    What shoe / boot is best for Sterkfontein as you can cover huge distances by foot in a day?
    It should also be used for wading as you sometimes have to enter the water.
    I would suggest the Simms Vapor boot.
    Designed as a light weight boot to be comfortable for hiking over long distances, but still usable as a wading boot.
    http://www.frontierflyfishing.co.za/...ing-boots.html
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Something that's easy to take on an off. Unless you're fond of mud being walked all over your boat!

But seriously, if you intend to do some bundu bashing, a pair of decent boots and gaiters is a must at Sterkies. There are plenty of snakes there...
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

I wouldn't go for soft shoes on Sterkies.
    Lots of muddy slippery spots , lots of (sharp) rocks bottomed spots etc...
    Chota rules. Not too heavy , light enough for long walk , but firm and protect foots and leg ankles consequently .
    I used to broke my right leg ankle using soft (it was some expensive Simms ?) wadding shoes for the reason of more comfortable walk , 10 years ago .
    If I had Chota or similar , it will not happen.

I was 45 days out of saddle, and another 45 days with no fishing , and then another few years acting as a walking barometer :smile: (before every serious change in the weather I had pain in the ankle )

Don't want to do try that again .

I don't think Chotas are very good at all. Im sure they have their place , but for heavy work, they don't go the distance. Perhaps Sterkies is different in that you don't find the type of terrain that scuffs the external stitching and causing the boot to fall apart. but my experience with Chota's on the Orange river and Cape rivers, is that it isn't the one to go for. Probably best to get one pair of boots that going to last the distance, in rivers and at Sterkies. Simms are light, durable, and with a very good local backup. You cant go wrong with the Simms, but check out the varies models, as some of them are more suited to our local conditions than others.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.