Thread: How "resident" are big browns in dams/lakes?

Default How "resident" are big browns in dams/lakes?

How "resident" are big browns in dams and lakes?

I had an interesting chat with fellow fly fishers about this topic.
    Well, if they are "resident" or stay in one area, how large is the home range?
    Surely it must be fairly big?
    A big brown needs a lot of food to stay alive?
    Some where chatting about certain area in Lakensvlei, well a big brown will not get very big, if it only stayed in one area.
    A big brown will become an anorexic brown, if its home range is small?
    It will eat all the food in no time.

I agree in a river, where food is washed to the trout, yes, but in a dam, I doubt it will be "to resident"

What is your opinion, or experience?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    How "resident" are big browns in dams and lakes?

I had an interesting chat with fellow fly fishers about this topic.
    Well, if they are "resident" or stay in one area, how large is the home range?
    Surely it must be fairly big?
    A big brown needs a lot of food to stay alive?
    Some where chatting about certain area in Lakensvlei, well a big brown will not get very big, if it only stayed in one area.
    A big brown will become an anorexic brown, if its home range is small?
    It will eat all the food in no time.

I agree in a river, where food is washed to the trout, yes, but in a dam, I doubt it will be "to resident"

What is your opinion, or experience?
    I think a lot of it depends on what the food is doing, if they have access to enough food in one spot all year around I wouldn't imagine them moving much. However i don't think this is really the case, for me what makes sense is they go were the food is.

It is also very important to consider how the water levels change during the course of the year, this has an affect on weed beds etc etc There are a LOT of variables that will effect food in a dam, like I said browns will to go their closest food source!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

In my experience, Lakies included, they tend to have their preferred beats that they will continuously patrol. Usually where there is some kind of sub-structure or wave action close to the bank. I well remember a particular occasion when I took a newbie with me, him on foot patrolling the bank, and me out on my float-tube. The end tally for the day was 5 rainbows taken randomly around the dam to me, 4 browns to him all from exactly the same spot! He saw the first brown patrolling, put out a dry ahead of the fish and was intercepted. He repeated this another 3 times with 3 consecutive patrolling browns. I was flabberghasted! Three weeks later I was back, on my own, and I enjoyed the same success, 4 browns, all taken from exactly the same spot, all on dry fly. The browns were all patrolling fish. Was a case of quietly observing, waiting for a sighting, putting out the dry well ahead of the fish, slow retrieving to bring the fly exactly into the fishes cruising lane then leaving it alone. The rest unfolded almost in slow motion, with the brown patrolling from right to left parallel to the bank, my fly drifting well to the left waiting for interception, and then seeing recognition in the fish's body language as it homed in on the fly, angling upwards and sipping the fly in. One of my most memorable still water days ever!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper