Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Pura reels

Default Aqua Pura reels

Just seen the add for these in the new TCFF. They look really cool and are priced low. That generally means they won't last and probably arent much good. I went onto the website to have a look. Clicked on the AquaPura super light.
    Super Light.jpg
    Here is what it says about the reel
    Our latest and lightest fly reel. Full cnc from bar stock T6061 aircraft grade aluminium. Fully sealed cork drag system. Large arbor design.

The AquaPura Ultra Light fly reel is a true revelation at its price. Featuring precision cnc cutting from T6061 billet grade aluminium and running on a fully sealed cork drag system you can rest assured that when you hook that monster the least of you worries will be about the reel.

Features:
    T6061 billet grade aluminium CNC (full CNC)
    Cork Drag System
    Sealed drag system
    Interchangeable and easy left/right conversion
    Class leading weight (see table below)
    3 ball bearings
    Neoprene reel pouch

Size O/Dia. I/Dia. S/Width Weight
    3/5 83mm 62mm 27mm 135g
    5/7 90mm 62mm 27mm 140g
    7/9 97mm 67mm 27mm 147g

Specs like that generally mean R3000 +. This is on the market for R999.
    My question: Whats the catch? Surely there is something wrong with this reel? If something seems too good to be true it usually is. Does anyone have any ideas? Your thoughts?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

2. Default

Looks like it could be this one??

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...745079545.html
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

My question: Whats the catch? Surely there is something wrong with this reel?

from what i've learned from FT recently....
    too new, wrong name, wrong country of origin, not enough spent on research and development, not enough spent on marketing and distribution, markup too low.
    catch and release

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post

too new, wrong name, wrong country of origin, not enough spent on research and development, not enough spent on marketing and distribution, markup too low.
    Since there is no MOQ on this product, and it sells for $30-$45 (depending on model) you can actually get it cheaper direct from China.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post

Hahaha so true, if it is reasonably priced don't touch it!!!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Just seen the add for these in the new TCFF. They look really cool and are priced low. That generally means they won't last and probably arent much good. I went onto the website to have a look. Clicked on the AquaPura super light.
    Super Light.jpg
    Here is what it says about the reel
    Our latest and lightest fly reel. Full cnc from bar stock T6061 aircraft grade aluminium. Fully sealed cork drag system. Large arbor design.

The AquaPura Ultra Light fly reel is a true revelation at its price. Featuring precision cnc cutting from T6061 billet grade aluminium and running on a fully sealed cork drag system you can rest assured that when you hook that monster the least of you worries will be about the reel.

Features:
    T6061 billet grade aluminium CNC (full CNC)
    Cork Drag System
    Sealed drag system
    Interchangeable and easy left/right conversion
    Class leading weight (see table below)
    3 ball bearings
    Neoprene reel pouch

Size O/Dia. I/Dia. S/Width Weight
    3/5 83mm 62mm 27mm 135g
    5/7 90mm 62mm 27mm 140g
    7/9 97mm 67mm 27mm 147g

Specs like that generally mean R3000 +. This is on the market for R999.
    My question: Whats the catch? Surely there is something wrong with this reel? If something seems too good to be true it usually is. Does anyone have any ideas? Your thoughts?
    For that price it is worth getting one just to see what happens, if it doesn't last at least it didn't cost a fortune. . . .
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Why?. Just because its made in China?. Even the Sages are made in China. there nothing wrong with Chinese reels. They are able to simply make them cheaper due to lower input costs. Goes back to the discussion about local manufacturers competing with Chinese manufacturers.
    Very strange this fly fishing bunch. If its too expensive its a rip off... If its too cheap, theres a catch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Hahaha so true, if it is reasonably priced don't touch it!!!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Yep. Definitely.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

If it works I don't give a shyte where it comes from as long as it's pink or purple or even white.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why?. Just because its made in China?. Even the Sages are made in China. there nothing wrong with Chinese reels. They are able to simply make them cheaper due to lower input costs. Goes back to the discussion about local manufacturers competing with Chinese manufacturers.
    Very strange this fly fishing bunch. If its too expensive its a rip off... If its too cheap, theres a catch...
    What are you rambling on about? When did I even mention China? All my reels are made in China so why would I have a problem with it?

If you read my following post I actually said it is worth buying one at the price just to see how it goes!!!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast