Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Boron??

Spider silk might be stronger than boron,i but it isn't stronger than steel. Its a misconception, believed only by stupid ignorant idiots....
    http://theconversation.com/spider-si...an-steel-14879

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    A friend made a rod using spider silk, which as even Andre knows is much stronger then even Boron.
    It came out as an extremely thin rod, he had trouble with the weight of the guides, but made those out of silk too.
    It cast beautifully.
    Only problem was that you could cast a fly, it would be 'magnetically' attracted to the rod and stick to it and you couldnt get it off
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Spider silk might be stronger than boron,i but it isn't stronger than steel. Its a misconception, believed only by stupid ignorant idiots....
    http://theconversation.com/spider-si...an-steel-14879
    One for Mythbusters perhaps? Did you read the whole article Andre? "Tensile strength is only one critical property. The stiffness of silk, which is its ability to deform elastically when force is applied, is many times less than that of steel. Where spider silk seems to beat steel by a large margin is its density, which is almost six times less. On a per-weight basis then, silk starts to look more interesting, with the ratio of strength to density exceeding that of steel."
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yes of course I read the whole article Chris... I was having a dig at Craig. I know its not as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    One for Mythbusters perhaps? Did you read the whole article Andre? "Tensile strength is only one critical property. The stiffness of silk, which is its ability to deform elastically when force is applied, is many times less than that of steel. Where spider silk seems to beat steel by a large margin is its density, which is almost six times less. On a per-weight basis then, silk starts to look more interesting, with the ratio of strength to density exceeding that of steel."
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Kevlar has a lower E value than glass, so, if you wanted the world's most expensive noodle, you would use Kevlar.
    I love engineering humour!

I read somewhere that one of the reasons Fenwick stopped using Boron was employee injuries - apparently a single fibre is so stiff and thin that it can go right through a hand virtually unnoticed...

Do we actually need stiffer and faster flyrods (because this all boron could do for us if I understand correctly)?
    Last edited by allsorts; 12-09-14 at 08:12 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5