Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: French and Czech Leaders for a long rod???

Default French and Czech Leaders for a long rod???

Guys

I know that this topic has been discussed before, but I am very much interested in adopting these techniques for the Tenkara. Now I know that more and more people are fishing longer rods with softer tips with these two techniques. Longer??? Well let's say 10-11ft rods.

Now I would like to know what the perfect leader length would be for fishing these two techniques? I did a bit of reading up and it seems that people adopt these to fit their own styles. Jiri Klima fishes a 175cm Czech nymph leader and I see that some guys fish a 20-30ft French leader.

Is there a formula to this madness? I am seriously asking this as I have seen that some reckon 3/4 rod length and others say 1.5 x Rod Length for Czech leaders.

The reason for my asking is that I can't fish a 20-30ft French leader on the Tenkara. Yes it would work but I won't be able to get to the fish without hand lining it. The same applies for a longer Czech rig. I am fishing a 12ft Universal Tenkara that is rated to catch fish of 10lbs plus and it weighs a mere 70 Grams.

Now the perfect leader length would have to be just a foot longer than the rod. So if everything is a total of 13ft, I would be okay as I would then be able to bring fish to the surface and land it without hand lining the fish.

How would one go about determining the different lengths to make up these leaders seeing that a Czech rig needs to be 1.5 times the depth of the water you are fishing. I would most likely fish a main line of 6lbs and from there I would attach my dropper/s.

While we are on the subject do you guys have any tips in making your own inline sighters? Be it the Curly Q on the French or the inline Czech Sighter?

I look forward to your replies.

Just to add, my leader length would start from the tip(lillian) and there is no fly line involved.

2. Default

Do you fish with a net?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Net+arm stretch=4ft extra

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Do you fish with a net?
    Yes I do, just need to get a new net as I lost mine on my last outing.

How do you "hand line " a Tenkara? The line runs through the middle of the rod, so you cant even touch the line, let alone hand line it.....
    Anyway, the trick about the ultra long French nymphing leaders, is that they cast along the full length, in other words, it you have 1meter out the rod tip, or a full 10 meters out the rod tip, or anything in between, it turns over... with Tenkara, your leader length is static, so your question doesn't make sense to me.
    You have asked so many questions in your post, could probably write book with all the answers.
    Last edited by Andre; 15-09-14 at 02:54 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Yes I do, just need to get a new net as I lost mine on my last outing.
    Personally, I'd start with a simple Pythagoras diagram and work it from there. If you do it to scale on a A4 page you can get some accurate ideas pretty quickly. Add your arm and net lengths, too, and keep in mind the water level that you will be fishing in, as that too will affect your ability to land the fish.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    How do you "hand line " a Tenkara? The line runs through the middle of the rod, so you cant even touch the line, let alone hand line it.....
    Uhm, no .... the line is attached to the tip of the rod ... with a knot/loop.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Andre the line doesn't run through the rod, it's attached to the tip of the rod (Lillian). This is Tenkara not a Barber roep stok.
    When the leader is too long you will lift the tip of the rod and then you will grab onto the line and this is what I refer to as hand lining fish on the Tenkara. If you fish in thigh deep water and the leader is the correct length you will be able to net your fish without touching the line.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    with Tenkara, your leader length is static, so your question doesn't make sense to me.
    Koos wants to know how long must he make his leader so that he can still grab the fish without having to grab the line - I think???
    Mario Geldenhuys

Andre
    Sometimes it is best to say nothing
    Regards
    Craig

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast