Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Vanderkloof Dam Outflow

So My only question is aimed at Gerrit...

When you leaving the throbbing metropolis of Parys and relocating to Vanderkloof????
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It would be great to hear Chris v d Post's opinion on the clarity, thru the year.
    I have fished with him there, and the viz was probably 2 meters. if not more.
    Korrie, the end of summer is the best in terms of clarity (if the rainy season is not to bad), if we have a very wet season, the end of summer could be the worst.... The mid to late winter/early summer dirty water is due to increased flows from a dirty Ghariep dam (the Lesotho snow melt, coupled with the increased need for electricity causes this), As for the viz further upstream, it definitely gets worse, it is actually quite muddy at the inlet. Some of the inlets can be spectacular though, but only at certain times of the year.

As for safety on the dam, the "big water" is certainly not the safest place, if the wind picks up, which it regularly does, its a much worse place than sterkies (purely due to the long distance the water has to pick up steam and the long distance you would need to travel to get back home). I've seen 1.5 to 2 meter high waves on there in the past. Its also very easy to get lost once you go through the neck into the open water, there are often guys that the police need to go and search for in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Its also very easy to get lost once you go through the neck into the open water, there are often guys that the police need to go and search for in that area.
    Ja but that's more a function of how much dop goes on the boat at launch than anything else

Ek het daai dam al plat gery met 'n 15HP teen 35Kph.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    So My only question is aimed at Gerrit...

When you leaving the throbbing metropolis of Parys and relocating to Vanderkloof????
    Not any time soon let them flock to VDK less pressure down here hehe. No seriously I have no desire to fish any dam I love this Vaal hey we have this love / hate relationship!

Chris eks 'n leek as dit by jou waters kom is 340cm baie?

Foerking baie, te veel om te vang.
    maar nie die heel meeste nie.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanx Chris.

Chris eks 'n leek as dit by jou waters kom is 340cm baie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Foerking baie, te veel om te vang.
    maar nie die heel meeste nie.
    340 cumec is baie, maar nie onfishbaar nie, ek het al vis in 700 cumec water gevang (die rivier kan dit hanteer), die probleem is net die waterclarity raak sleg. Gewone vloei is 0-250/270 cumecs. Huidiglik is die issue dat die water konstant so hoog is, so daar is nie 'n "low tide" nie, wat dinge bietjie taaier maak.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5