Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shilton SL6

Default Shilton SL6

Hey guys

I got a Shilton SL6 that I'm going to buy for quite a good deal. My idea was to use this reel on an 8wt rod(I don't have a rod yet), but I see that this reel is actually constructed as a 9-10wt reel. Now my question is to you guys, will this reel be too big for a 8wt? Should I therefore rather go for a 9wt rod?

Regards
    Pierre

Personally I think it might be a tad too much for an 8wt, but it could work ok. Presume you going to use it for salt water work
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thats the thing I actualy wanted a 8wt to take to canada with my 6wts. Then i could use it for tigers and light salt water as well.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I owned and fished that very same reel on my Sage TCX 7wt 10' rod ( I think my 7/8wt Abel is actually 2g heavier can't remember exactly must go check) and loved everything about it what peed me off if that is a legit concern who knows.... the reel had too much backing capacity meaning I had to load something like 200yds or there about of 20lb backing before adding the fly line so iow for my LM fishing I had to carry excess weight for nothing as you don't need that much backing in the first place part of the reason why I sold them.

The Abels were a way better fit so one of the factors you need to consider is specie but I doubt the reel would be too heavy for an 8wt if my 7wt experiment was anything to go by but your preferences might differ...good luck!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 17-09-14 at 05:47 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

So the reel itself wouldnt be too heavy (according to shilton's site the sl6 is only 15g heavier than the sl5) but the added backing might be? I guess it will also depend on the rod I am planning to use. I was planning on trying it with the bvk 8wt.

As i said i am going to use it in canada for salmon and also for tigers. Also for some surf fishing along the kzn coast

Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    So the reel itself wouldnt be too heavy (according to shilton's site the sl6 is only 15g heavier than the sl5) but the added backing might be? I guess it will also depend on the rod I am planning to use. I was planning on trying it with the bvk 8wt.

Yes that and the type of fly line floating, sinking, taper,etc see I wanted backing capacity only to find out later that even for big LM you don't need that much backing it's basically there for decorations I found the orange quite pretty.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Haha ja the orange does look good. Thanks for the help. I think I should calm down and rather look for the right reel. I dont want to go up to a full 9wt setup.

Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Thats the thing I actualy wanted a 8wt to take to canada with my 6wts.
    I'll put my SL6 onto a BVK 8wt later today and give you some feedback. I suspect it will be fishable but a bit on the heavy side. Salmon fishing (if it's anything like Alaska) is close quarters repetitive casting - so you tend not to have much line out the rod tip to balance things out and load easily - unless you upline.

Largie said his SL6 was on a "TCX 7wt 10' " i.e. a longer and relatively stiff rod so a heavier reel would balance it okay.
    Last edited by William Ewels; 18-09-14 at 03:19 AM.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Pleasant surprise - good enough balance point with line through the guides:

The SL6 reel is fine on the BVK 8wt, not at all out of proportion (okay, the fighting butt is a bit girly )

I put an 8wt SA nymph taper on it which is slightly heavier right up front and made half a dozen short range casts into my pool - perfectly acceptable for salmon fishing IMHO:

If the salmon fishing in Canada is similar to Alaska then consider a line that will load the rod in short, say a clouser line, or nymph taper, or Rio Grand / SA GPX.
    That being said I took a whole range of outfit weights to Alaska and ended up fishing a 7wt outfit the most. An 8wt will do fine too - prolly less chance of upsetting anyone in the combat zone:

The highest form of existence is play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast