Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orange River - NEC

Default Orange River - NEC

Since there is no real water to speak of in the NEC trout waters, the last couple of outings have been to the Orange, close to my house. 25min trip and you are on the water. The water would usually be a little cleaner this time of the year (with the usual absence of rain), but howling winds have churned it up a little.

That said, took out the 2 boys yesterday - and we had a great time. Jaden (the youngest of the 2) lost a massive (for this section of water) fish (3kg+ easy) that just ran up the riffle and snapped the 6X after the 15m upstream dash. He had no idea how big it was, but I saw it breach the surface twice, and it was huge.

Both both landed a fish on dry fly (2 pics), which was awesome. Casting still needs a lot of work, and the 2 fish on dry was casts that I had to help with. Fish the white glass again and 6X exclusively.

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Awesome, one day they will kick dad's arse with the fishing. Hehe

Enjoy it, hope my girls will like fly fishing one day.
    George Victor Cooper

Mario
    The dry fly in the last picture, is the wing created with a antron loop?
    if so, cool idea
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    Awesome, one day they will kick dad's arse with the fishing. Hehe
    I hope so. The younger laaitie has a real feel for it. Also VERY keen! The eldest not a natural, but should/could one day be technically very good (that's why he does well in the forms of his martial arts). The younger one though is the one to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario
    The dry fly in the last picture, is the wing created with a antron loop?
    if so, cool idea
    Yes, thanks - it's just a loopwing but tied flat. There is a single CDC stem underneath it tied in exactly the same way. It sits beautifully on the water, and there is enough "surface area" to keep it floating really well, even with a sparsely tied wing. Creates a great footprint too. I posted a pic on FB yesterday morning of the flies we tied up the evening before. 1 for each of us, and we all got a fish on it - so it was really a complete experience for the boys.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Nice one Dad!
    Charles Thomas

Dig it Mario! Look forward to taking Jaden fishing one day in a few years time. Sure he will by then be able to teach me a few things! J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Dig it Mario! Look forward to taking Jaden fishing one day in a few years time. Sure he will by then be able to teach me a few things! J
    Just be prepared for him to want to kiss every single fish he handles. I have NO idea where he got it from, but every fish must be kissed!!!!!

Quite interesting, the boys both got on a lot better with the glass rod than with the rod I built specially for them. A little 7-footer from #3 bit and pieces, quite stiff with a #5 XDS line (the idea was for it to load and shoot) only got 2 or 3 fish before they bust the entire leader. So we switched to the 7'3 4-weight glass, and they did infinitely better!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Just be prepared for him to want to kiss every single fish he handles. I have NO idea where he got it from, but every fish must be kissed!!!!!

Quite interesting, the boys both got on a lot better with the glass rod than with the rod I built specially for them. A little 7-footer from #3 bit and pieces, quite stiff with a #5 XDS line (the idea was for it to load and shoot) only got 2 or 3 fish before they bust the entire leader. So we switched to the 7'3 4-weight glass, and they did infinitely better!
    That is a rather strange habit, especially with Yellowfish. Trout, maybe, yellowfish, well, certainly not from the Vaal. With the rods, its about protecting that tippet and I can see how the glass helps with that, especially in inexperienced hands. Yellows also take off hard when hooked!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

That is a rather strange habit, especially with Yellowfish. Trout, maybe, yellowfish, well, certainly not from the Vaal.
    I'll take Wet-Wipes with a disinfectant next time

With the rods, its about protecting that tippet and I can see how the glass helps with that, especially in inexperienced hands. Yellows also take off hard when hooked!
    They found that glass MUCH easier to cast as well. And as mentioned I had 6X on there - so they did well in not snapping off too much
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario where on Facebook can I see pics of those flies? Well done on the fish. My question is; why would you bother with trout if you have this 25 min away...!? Where (+-) on the orange was this? Don't need a specific location, just approximate. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast