Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Zenith 4wt 9ft opinion

Default Hardy Zenith 4wt 9ft opinion

Hi guys
    This was the rod i nearly "lost" in its trip with fedex from California to Durban.
    And im so glad i received it as im super impressed.Unpacking this rod from the tube the first thing i noticed was how large the rod tube is.I can fit my sage one 5wt tube inside of it.
    Not sure why its so big?Taking the rod out its sock,the next thing i noticed is that it has ferrule plugs...not sure why,maybe someone can explain this.
    I have the older skeleton reel seat...thought i wouldnt like it as i love wooden spacers on a reel seat.This reel seat is looks great and is functional...my reels fit perfectly,which i didnt expect.
    The fit and finish on this rod is great.Id give it a 9 out of 10.The snake guides seem a bit flimsy though.The quality of the cork is also a 9 out of ten.

Now the important part.How does it cast.Like magic is all i can say.It usually takes me a few trips to fall in love with a rod.This took a weekend.It is a fast rod but not overly stiff,and not nearly as fast as
    my sage one.It has a great feel and casts really narrow loops effortlessly.At longer distances it doesnt come close to collapsing.I did cast a sci ang wf-4-f GPX on it.Plenty backbone when fighting fish and feels light in the hand.This rod has a similar feel to the original loomis glx which i love.

Super impressed that hardy has this made in Korea...it casts as well,if not better than my US made rods.Well done Hardy!

A bet you were a very relieved person, when the parcel showed up on your doorstep.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

3. Default

Ferrule plugs are for protecting the female ferrules when the rod is not is use. Keeps it clean, and from being crushed.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

yes korrie,very relieved as i wouldnt have had the opportunity to cast that rod again.
    Mario,why do you think no other manufacturers use these plugs?

5. Default

Tradition. I make plugs for some of my builds, especially glass.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi guys
    This was the rod i nearly "lost" in its trip with fedex from California to Durban.
    And im so glad i received it as im super impressed.Unpacking this rod from the tube the first thing i noticed was how large the rod tube is.I can fit my sage one 5wt tube inside of it. Not sure why its so big?
    I have 2 Zenith's - 10ft 7wt and 10ft 3wt.
    The Sage ONE tube is particularly small, the Zenith tube is Standard size (I think) - and handily holds 2 rods when you travel.

Taking the rod out its sock,the next thing i noticed is that it has ferrule plugs...not sure why,maybe someone can explain this.
    I have the older skeleton reel seat...thought i wouldnt like it as i love wooden spacers on a reel seat.This reel seat is looks great and is functional...my reels fit perfectly,which i didnt expect.
    Ferrule plugs have been explained above. Both of my rods have the OLD skeletal reel seat, which I think is much nicer than the NEW, conventional-style reel seat.

The fit and finish on this rod is great.Id give it a 9 out of 10.The snake guides seem a bit flimsy though.The quality of the cork is also a 9 out of ten.
    Your snake guides are not flimsy, they are RECoil guides. You can bend these with your hand and since they are made from "Shape Memory" alloy, they return to their original shape.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Gary what 5wt are you fishing?

I prefer the skeletal reel seat look, gives it a bit of "agro" look
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I prefer the skeletal reel seat look, gives it a bit of "agro" look
    are you an "aggro" guy korrie?

Gary what 5wt are you fishing?
    I don't fish 5wts any more. I fish either a 10ft 6wt Stealth Infinity or a 10ft 6wt Sage ONE, depending upon application.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast