Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One vs Radian vs Helios 2

Default One vs Radian vs Helios 2

Hi Everyone. I am looking at finally investing in a decent 5-weight rod. My options are the Sage One, Scott Radian or the Orvis Helios 2... There are those who hate one of them and those who love some of them. I know everyone has pretty biased opinions based on personal brand preferences and then I also know I should cast them and see which fits best. I am doing that on Wednesday evening. BUT, anything I must know about the 3 rods? Obviously we cast into the wind on a few occasions so casting ability and a fast action are important to me. I am sure all 3 can handle most sized fish.

Any imparted knowledge on the 3 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can't go wrong with any of the 3, honestly.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Can't go wrong with any of the 3, honestly.
    Agreed! When its rods of this calibre I look at personal preference and warranty. I have casted the Sage and Orvis, but only handled the Scott. I wont lie, I love my Orvis, but the Radian felt really cool. It was some sex appeal to me.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

All great rods.I love the helios as they are really light and fish effortlessly..That said,also look at things like warranty and backup in SA...In that case Sage would win hands down

What about Hardy?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

They have some good rods, I agree, but on the whole, they generally don't really stand out very high above the rest. After sales service in this country for Hardy is virtually non existant
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    What about Hardy?

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Ah ok.

I am assuming you are looking at a 9ft rod? (I personally go for the 1 footers)
    Both the ONE and the Helios 2 are great rods, I have no personal experience with the Radian. Good that you are going to cast them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    They have some good rods, I agree, but on the whole, they generally don't really stand out very high above the rest. After sales service in this country for Hardy is virtually non existant
    Don't discount the Hardy Zenith, I would pick it over the ONE & H2 myself.
    The new agents seem to be on the ball, so don't judge after sales service based on the previous agent.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

That's good news Gary, yes I was referring to the Zenith particularly in what I said, lovely rod. I hope the new guys can get the brand back to where it should be in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I am assuming you are looking at a 9ft rod? (I personally go for the 1 footers)
    Both the ONE and the Helios 2 are great rods, I have no personal experience with the Radian. Good that you are going to cast them.

Don't discount the Hardy Zenith, I would pick it over the ONE & H2 myself.
    The new agents seem to be on the ball, so don't judge after sales service based on the previous agent.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    That's good news Gary, yes I was referring to the Zenith particularly in what I said, lovely rod. I hope the new guys can get the brand back to where it should be in this country.
    I have got a bit of insight into the Zenith but haven't seen it available anywhere here... Also, I assume they're quite a lot more expensive than these 3 mentioned above? Anyone know where I could get the Zenith in SA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast