Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploring some lesser known Drakensberg streams

Default Exploring some lesser known Drakensberg streams

Spent some time in the mountains with Andrew this weekend checking out the streams in one of the 'berg's less visited valley's.

The water was pretty low and the fishing tough, but the scenery was spectacular and the company good. All-in-all had a great time ... highly recommended.

Will let the pics tell the story:

---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Serious case of jealousy right now, that is my kind if adventure fishing!

Thanks for sharing
    George Victor Cooper

Great stuff guys! Very little to beat exploring new streams with little or no prior knowledge of what to expect. I second George's sentiment entirely, that's my kind of stuff too. And you got a fish! Major bonus!! Well done!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Very, very nice. Thank you for sharing. I want to do that too. Anybody interested? I'm in. Let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_981 View Post
    Very, very nice. Thank you for sharing. I want to do that too. Anybody interested? I'm in. Let's go.
    Sam do not tempt me!!!

When, where, how?
    George Victor Cooper

Lovely trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Wow, looks like great fun. I must also say, when faced with such pristine, clear water, I find myself low on confidence. I think it is some of the toughest fishing there is. Fun, but really, really tough. You need to be a "rambo" of fly-fishing to have success. Well done.

Or you need "micro dries", and no "blind fishing". No seriously though, if the rivers haven't been fished, then it makes it a lot easier.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

How do you guys decide where to explore and then who do you get permission from?

There many ways, depending on the area that you are exploring, but generally it requires some advance research. sometimes you get a map, find a river on it, and go there... that's called "blue lining", and sometimes people end up on private land without knowing it. There are one or two guys on this forum, who are famous for "accidently" finding themselves on private land, and when they get caught, are very good at pulling a mirriad of very valid excuses..... We know who they are
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    How do you guys decide where to explore and then who do you get permission from?
    Last edited by Andre; 25-09-14 at 08:16 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast