Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tasmania

Default Tasmania

G'day all,

I'm off to Tasmania at the end of the month for two weeks. Got a Camper booked, departing Hobart on the 3rd of November 2014. My wife wants to do the touristy things and I want to do as much fishing as possible. As I'm a beginner, hooked big time to this fantastic sport, any advice on where to go to, where to fish and whom and what to see will be very much appreciated. I would like to do some still water and river/stream fishing. I own a 10', 4 weight rod and reel with intermediate line and a 9', 6 weight rod and reel with a floating line. A few questions though....
    • What rods and reels to take? What weight? Float, intermediate or sinking lines? Suggestions please.
    • What fly's? I want to get fly's made up for me before I go.
    • Waders and boots required? If required, what brand and who from?
    • Would it be better to buy any outstanding equipment in Tasmania or would it be better to buy it in South Africa beforehand? It seems that fly fishing equipment in Tasmania is very expensive.

I've used "Google" as much as possible but can't find the answers. Any help and or advice would be appreciated. Only 21 sleeps before we depart.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Sam.
    Last edited by Sam_981; 12-10-14 at 06:23 PM.

Hi Sam

Distances are not huge in Tassie. With a campervan you can do fishing either early or late and drive around sight seeing in the middle of the day when fishing will be slower.
    You can be a tourist at Port Arthur in the morning and then fishing streams around Launceston in the afternoon It's awesome.

Weather is extremely variable - you can't rule out snow - I've had snow in February in Tassie.

Go into fly shops, ask them to sell you some flies and where to go fishing. The flies will be expensive compared to South Africa but the advice will be gold.
    Fly fishing tackle is very expensive - as is guided fishing. Rather take everything with you that you can fit into your luggage allowance.

There is plenty on the internet to help, for example:
    http://www.troutguidestasmania.com.au/fisheryfly.htm
    http://www.fishwildtasmania.com/trout-seasons
    http://troutterritory.com.au/
    http://www.gotroutfishtasmania.com.a...ry.htm#FISHING CALENDAR
    (Might be something wrong with your regional settings in your internet browser if you are not finding anything.)

Consider joining an aussie forum like Flylife.com.au - plenty info and friendly people there.

The tackle you listed is fine for the job. Most of the fishing is done with floating lines.

I wanted to start off with this but I'll finish with it. Tasmania has a lot of very deadly snakes, particularly tiger snakes, and they'll be out and about in November for sure. Be ultra careful, wear waders even if it's hot, and carry pressure bandages and a cell-phone. Try not to fish alone. One trip I did there I saw more snakes in 12 days than I saw in the 33 years I lived in Africa Be vigilant and keep your eyes down when tip-toeing along grassy banks and marshy areas.

Cheers
    William
    The highest form of existence is play.

I will be watching this thread with interest - I fly to Tasmania at the end of January next year and have 3 weeks there.

I'm thinking of going the car and tent route instead of a camper but have yet to make up my mind.

"Trout Waters of Tasmania" by Greg French is a recently revised and updated version of his earlier book and is apparently a pretty definitive where and how guide. I haven't been able to find a copy for sale outside of Australia so I'm looking to pick a copy up when I get to Hobart.

Hearing about the Tiger snakes is not great, especially as I will be fishing alone. I fished a remote river in the Snowy Mountains (NSW) about 5 years ago and stepping out of the river I nearly trod on a Tiger snake. Sinister looking thing. We both froze, eyed each other up, I might even have let out a high pitched yelp, the snake flicked its tongue and then disappeared pretty fast. I'm glad it seemed more afraid of me and it took a while for the adrenalin to disappear from my system. Don't fancy meeting too many more of them!

I won't have space for waders and wading boots so I will have no choice but to wet wade.

Good luck Sam and please report back if you can.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Lo William,

I could not have asked for better information and or advice anywhere. Thank you very much. Will join FlyLife right away.

Have a good one.

Regards,

Sam.
    Last edited by Sam_981; 22-10-14 at 06:58 AM.

Good morning Justin,

I'm very much looking forward to this Tasmania trip. Also considered the car and tent route but the wife would not have any of it. Got a 2 sleeper Campervan with a toilet and shower, unlimited miles and insurance for nine day's at AU$1400 from Apollo rentals in Hobart.

I've read about Greg French' book, which seems to be a MUST have for unguided fly fishing in Tasmania. Will definitely pick one up in Hobart.

I'm sh?t scared of snakes so I'll have to buy waders and boots here in South Africa and take it with.

After Tasmania I will have a three day stopover in Sydney and will see if I can fit in any fishing there.

Will keep you updated.

Regards,

Sam.

Ankle boots I can see the value of, being the part of the body most often bitten, but I'm wondering what extra protection waders will offer? Pretty limited I'd imagine... I'm thinking of breathable waders. Even a little prick by brambles seems to get the better of mine.

Perhaps those snake gaiter things are the way to go.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

It's not right of me to put too much fear of tiger snakes into tourists in Aus - very few people are ever killed by them and often they "tag" people without envenomation. Just last week my friend Kevin (dogtooth on this forum) took pics of an irritated tiger and later witnessed another friend John nearly tagged at thigh height in the exact location I and another friend Steve (igfafly on this forum) encountered a particularly angry tiger in full ambush mode on a footpath about a year prior after walking through a killing field of dead kangaroos and dead sheep. We are all researching snake gaiters at present and contemplating to only fish for trout in winter

Waders (even breathable) will greatly limit any envenomation. Even a pair of loose fitting blue jeans will help. Gaiters certainly a good idea.

More importantly carry pressure bandages. I actually bought my set of pressure bandages at Clicks in South Africa.
    Read here how to use them:
    http://toxicology.ucsd.edu/Snakebite...s/Notechis.htm

PS: Kev and John did catch some nice trout over that side of the dam where the tiger snakes rule

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_981 View Post
    After Tasmania I will have a three day stopover in Sydney and will see if I can fit in any fishing there.
    Give me details about your dates and where you'll be staying - I'll see what I can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Give me details about your dates and where you'll be staying - I'll see what I can do to help.
    Fantastic. Thank you very much. Arriving Sydney on 11 November and departing morning of 14 November. Will be staying in Darling Harbour Penthouse Apartment located on the shores of Blackwattle Bay.

Ive been checking out Tasmania as well for quite some time. The Tasmania tourism board is sharing some amazing pics of the surroundings, really amazing.

Definitely a bucket list trip...

Hope you guys can provide some good info on your return.

I will be waiting anxiously...!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast