Thread: December fishing; still or streams?

Default December fishing; still or streams?

Hi there

December is normally beach holidays and salt water fishing so I have never tried trout fishing but I have 3 days to kill before Christmas in the Midlands/Kamberg region so wanted to see if I could sneak some in. Now, the middle of a Natal summer tells me I am far away from the ideal trout fishing time. Is it even worth going? Should I try still water or streams at that time of year?

Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Oelschig View Post
    Hi there

December is normally beach holidays and salt water fishing so I have never tried trout fishing but I have 3 days to kill before Christmas in the Midlands/Kamberg region so wanted to see if I could sneak some in. Now, the middle of a Natal summer tells me I am far away from the ideal trout fishing time. Is it even worth going? Should I try still water or streams at that time of year?

Thanks so much
    Depending on rainfall you can possibly do both, if the rivers are clear and not to high its definitely worth a fish. You will most definitely get some fish, if they dirty then give the still waters a go. The Drakensberg traditionally gets late afternoon thunderstorms which generally means water temps are still okay come December. I have had decent still water and river fishing over this time of year, I will actually be staying at Lake Naverone early December so hoping to get some fishing done.

Try focus early morning and late afternoon if temps are a bit high, enjoy!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho