Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another "Which rod should I buy?" thread

Default Another "Which rod should I buy?" thread

I am looking at buying two new Sage rods and was hoping for some guidance... Note: I can't test any of the rods before and I will be buying Sage.

I've fished a lot with a 5wt XP and really enjoy that rod so you get the kind of action I like.

I'm looking for 2 rods:

A 5wt for the Eastern Cape stillwaters (Winterberg and Stormberg areas)

A 2 or 3wt for rivers around the Barkly / Rhodes areas for trout and yellows. (I'm completely new to river fishing so I have no idea what to look for here)

For the 5wt I was thinking a 9ft Sage One or Method. Which of the two would you recommend?

For the 2 or 3wt, well which Sage would you recommend for my application?

Thanks,

Ranger
    Stealth, Scott, Sage
    Xplorer, Tibor

For the 5WT the Method is a wild stick, you just need to be prepared to upline it to get reasonable performance out of it, they are really really really stiff sticks and if you're looking for a multi-functionate (dry fly and streamers) I think the One might be a better choice considering your familiarity with the XP. The Method is a canon.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

For the rivers #3 ESN. 10"
    Lovely rod for nymphing, a good rod for dry fly. The 10" gives you the reach.
    when the rivers a bit high the #2 will be a bit light.
    When the rivers are low, the #2 will perfect.
    The basic is that you can do more with the #3 than with the #2.

For the still waters I would go for the One. but in 10".
    When the rivers in Eastern Cape is high, it will be suitable for river fishing as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    For the rivers #3 ESN. 10"
    Lovely rod for nymphing, a good rod for dry fly. The 10" gives you the reach.
    when the rivers a bit high the #2 will be a bit light.
    When the rivers are low, the #2 will perfect.
    The basic is that you can do more with the #3 than with the #2.

For the still waters I would go for the One. but in 10".
    When the rivers in Eastern Cape is high, it will be suitable for river fishing as well.
    +1 for the suggestion as above!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I support the view on the 5 wt One but think the Sage 2711-4 txl-f would be the better choice for stream fishing.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Smith View Post
    I support the view on the 5 wt One but think the Sage 2711-4 txl-f would be the better choice for stream fishing.
    The TXL-F is a great rod yes, but heard rumours that it's soon to be discontinued (anyone that can confirm this and possible date?) :-( I have 2 TXL-Fs and love them to bits.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the input guys, I have settled on a 9'6" Sage One in 5wt, I am however, still not sure about about the 3wt as I have now just spoken to a guy who fishes the Rhodes area quite a lot and he is suggesting I go no longer than 7'6". Is there such a thing as a general purpose 3wt rod length for medium to small rivers?
    Stealth, Scott, Sage
    Xplorer, Tibor

Blog Entries

I really do suggest go longer the that. Thats a tiny stick. I would only use that for seriously bushed in streams. I use a 10ft 2wt ESN for Rhodes and it works dam well. The very least I would go it 8ft. The TXL is an amazing stick, its what I use for the headwaters at Rhodes especially in a 0wt.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I have settled on a 9'6" Sage One in 5wt, I am however, still not sure about about the 3wt as I have now just spoken to a guy who fishes the Rhodes area quite a lot and he is suggesting I go no longer than 7'6". Is there such a thing as a general purpose 3wt rod length for medium to small rivers?
    Did he say why he wouldn't go longer than 7'6"?

I would say go no shorter than 9'.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    as I have now just spoken to a guy who fishes the Rhodes area quite a lot and he is suggesting I go no longer than 7'6".
    Since the willows have been cleared there are very few beats left where a short rod would be an advantage. I also prefer a shorter rod but that's a personal preference, and on most beats a longer rod would be to your advantage. I cannot think of more than 3 beats where you would *NEED* to have a shorter rod for getting in under trees etc. I fish the Rhodes area on the odd occasion, and honestly, get the longer rod, you will not be sorry.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast