Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intro

Quote Originally Posted by capt lucky View Post
    yes we use decoys both for geese & ducks.last wednesday we put out 3 doz goose, 2 doz. puddle, &2 doz divers. we got 2 geese & 3 ducks it was a good day on thersday we got our first snow of the year. do you hunt or just fish ?
    I love both, although I fish a hell of a lot more than I hunt! I have always had my reservations about hunting geese though, because of the pairing for life thing. How do you feel about this?

its true they mate for life but if one dies the the outher one will take a new mate the next breeding seasion I allways try to take both if possable this last trip we had a pair come to the decoys and we got both I have no problem killing any game but I kill only what I eat and I use the fir or feathers in fly tiying

its true they mate for life but if one dies the the outher one will take a new mate the next breeding seasion I allways try to take both if possable this last trip we had a pair come to the decoys and we got both I have no problem killing any game but I kill only what I eat and I use the fir or feathers in fly tiying
    Good man! I also eat what I kill and only shoot what I need. I have never been one for stocking up my deep freezer. What kind of field gun do you use, s/s or o/u?

i hunt with a mossberg 835 31/2in 12 gage I used to use win.101 o/u but we had to start using steel shot so went to the 835 witch is overbored and handles the steel very well what do you use and what birds do you hunt ?

I kill only what I eat and I use the fir or feathers in fly tiying
    Do you treat the fur or feathers before using or storing with your other materials? Be very careful of using found fur/feathers or those from wild animals as they often contain parasites. I've seen guys do this, only for bugs brought in from the "wild" furs/feathers to get into their other materials too and the next thing they know, their whole tying kit as been destroyed.

With tying materials costing as much as they do, I'm terrified of this happening and as a result, am very careful where I get materials from. That, and the drawers in my tying desk where my materials are stored contain about 2 full bags of mothballs, the unscented kind, I managed to find in a Spar not long ago.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 18-10-06 at 07:59 AM.

i hunt with a mossberg 835 31/2in 12 gage I used to use win.101 o/u but we had to start using steel shot so went to the 835 witch is overbored and handles the steel very well what do you use and what birds do you hunt ?
    I mostly hunt Cape francolin and Guineafowl with my Aya 12 guage s/s. Once a year I go on a walk and stalk and shoot myself a springbok or two for biltong (jerky) with my Musgrave .308

Thumbs up

your right to be conserned about bugs on game the way we eliminate them is simple just put in a plastic bag and put them in the friezer for a week then salt the flish side i also keep them in sreparet bags with moth balls
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Do you treat the fur or feathers before using for storing with your other materials? Be very careful of using found fur/feathers or those from wild animals as they often contain parasites. I've seen guys do this, only for bugs brought in from the "wild" furs/feathers to get into their other materials too and the next thing they know, their whole tying kit as been destroyed.

With tying materials costing as much as they do, I'm terrified of this happening and as a result, am very careful where I get materials from. That, and the drawers in my tying desk where my materials are stored contain about 2 full bags of mothballs, the unscented kind, I managed to find in a Spar not long ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12