Thread: Line, backing and casting advice

Default Line, backing and casting advice

Howsit all
    Got another newbie casting thread for you haha. Hopefully you guys can offer a little advice. I have an old but perfectly functional 7 or 8w (I think) floating line that has been shortened by a few meters over the years and is now about 22m. It casts well with a 6w and beautifully with a 8/9. I'm fairly fair at casting and cast a full line and a bit of backing without too much trouble. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a new rod than a line. The problem is the dacron backing loves catching on grass during the cast and knots on itself almost every cast, shortening the cast by a few meters which frustrates some and the knotting is going to lose me a fish at some stage i'm sure.
    What would you guys suggest? shorten the line even more and make a shooting head for the 6wt? or maybe switch to a nylon backing?
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    chris

Get a longer line, they come in 32M variants these days, don't bother with splices or tricks ... Rather get a new (and longer) line.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Add 5m of braided loop braid between your line and backing. Its thicker and stiffer and doesn't tangle
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Perhaps try a stripping basket. I agree with Scythe that it isn't a good idea to try and join or splice lines. "A few hundred" might not be enough for a new rod, so perhaps consider a new line instead. The fact that the line has been shortened quite considerable, would explain why it casts so well on a 6wt...its no longer a 7 or 8 wt line, so bear this in mind if you go shopping for a new line.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris, View Post
    Howsit all
    Got another newbie casting thread for you haha. Hopefully you guys can offer a little advice. I have an old but perfectly functional 7 or 8w (I think) floating line that has been shortened by a few meters over the years and is now about 22m. It casts well with a 6w and beautifully with a 8/9. I'm fairly fair at casting and cast a full line and a bit of backing without too much trouble. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a new rod than a line. The problem is the dacron backing loves catching on grass during the cast and knots on itself almost every cast, shortening the cast by a few meters which frustrates some and the knotting is going to lose me a fish at some stage i'm sure.
    What would you guys suggest? shorten the line even more and make a shooting head for the 6wt? or maybe switch to a nylon backing?
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    chris
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the advice guys
    Dtayl's idea was the kind of plan I was looking for and a basket would definately help but I must agree, better to fork out on a shiny new long line, less hassle, and i'll have a spare line for emergencies. Thanks again okes, am loving this forum!
    Chris