Thread: East London

Default East London

Anyone from East London or know the area?
    I will be there for 2 days at the end of the week and must give it a go on fly.
    Which flies that work for certain fish.

Cheers
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi the places to fish in east london are nahoon river up at the cause way at abbortsford on a high tide just as it starts to turn. Use a white clouser with pink crystal flash u should get a kob or a leerie . if u got time to travel go to cefani and walk north to the second river there are normaly good fish in that system and dont be scared to throw in the surf as you walk along. use clousers and gilcrestella imatations on a number 2 hook. you can also catch grunter in the nahoon on the SOB fly near the mouth and the island by the causeway. Those should keep u busy in the two days. I would offer to take u out to fly fish but i have recently moved to new zealand. tight lines

Blog Entries

Hi Bullie,
    I assume that it is the causeway above the N2 (4th bridge from the sea). Best fishing above (inland) of the causeway or below? I notice a large grassy area about 400m above the causeway - not sure if one can access that, but looks like the water may be quite fresh there? I assume the island that you refer to is the large island below the N6 express way - 600m downstream of the causeway at Abbotsford?
    Thanks
    Niel

Blog Entries

Ok, it is below the causeway to the bridge a few 100m downstream. First afternoon it was heavy going with none of the anglers catching. I eventually hooked and lost a cob at my feet. Next afternoon much better, although I could only fish for 2 hours. Landed 4 small cob of between 40 - 50 cm. The other convential anglers only caught 1!

Thats great i used to love catching them there on my 6wt. Did you get them on a clouser and what colour. At times they would only eat white clousers with pink flash or no flash and only a size 2 hook. Im glad you caught some fish in my olg hunting grounds.

Blog Entries

Bullie,
    First day I spent too much time on the surface and right next to the causeway looking for kingies and skippies - something was chasing there and the mullets nearly landed on my feet a few times!. Later I was standing on the rocky outcrop just downstream of the causeway, but had to vacate when the tide came in. In the process I fell in a very deep hole next to the south side of the river bank and had to swim with backpack and all! As I mentioned before, I lost a small cob late the previous afternoon and decided to focus on the cob the next day - deeper and slower retrieve. Well that same hole produced 2 cob - one on the third cast and one on the next cast. Another cob 10 m downstream and the last some 40m above the bridge. I used an orange over white 8-9 cm long clouser on 1/0 or 2/0 hook till the rocks ate that one (and quite a few other flies!). The last one was a tan 1/0 slightly shorter clouser. Both had 2 grizzly feathers and a bit of flash. I used my 10' #7 rod. None of them took much line, but still great fun!
    Regards
    Niel