Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3 - Tand Reels

Default 3 - Tand Reels

Hi everyone , seeing as these reels especially the salt water ones (t-70 etc...) have been making some waves in the industry has anyone one the forum put them through their paces in terms of the sealed drag in the salt and any other comments i.e drag smoothness etc...

my personal opinion is that salt water reels with sealed drags and "waterproof drags, don't stay sealed and waterproof forever. and when they loose their sealed and waterproofness, you might as well chuck them away..
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    my personal opinion is that salt water reels with sealed drags and "waterproof drags, don't stay sealed and waterproof forever. and when they loose their sealed and waterproofness, you might as well chuck them away..
    Ever heard of Jack Charlton reels? Google and read - you might change your opinion.

I don't think I have any experience with them, but then my salt water experience is limited anyway. I think too often we form opinions based on one or two bad experiences that are sometimes not applicable to all things, so Im looking forward to my opinion being altered.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Ever heard of Jack Charlton reels? Google and read - you might change your opinion.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I used one in the Seychelles recently (T-100). Very smooth drag and quite powerful too. Seems to be a very well put together reel. I am happy with mine.

I used one in the Seychelles recently (T-100). Very smooth drag and quite powerful too. Seems to be a very well put together reel. I am happy with mine.
    Thanks Neil that sounds good . Would you take it to Seychelles over a shilton/wade considering the price ?

Russ

I have Shiltons and they are very fine reels. I also have Abels, Hatch and Colton. The 3 Tand is very similar in quality to the Hatch (it is a very well designed reel and, although Made in China, I think the QC/QA is up to scratch).

It comes down to personal preference.

I suggest you look at other factors such as dealer support, servicing etc.

I have had excellent support from Shilton and have no qualms about recommending their product and service. (I presume Wade will be equivalent wrt these two factors.)

I am a big fan of sealed drag for big fish as a stacked disc assembly feels smoother and more progressive to me. (here I'm talking 10 to 12W)

Having said that I have also stopped GT's with SL7's and big Abels.

Cork drag is fine for smaller or less powerful fish. Triggers, Bones etc. Here's a test you can apply in the shop. Tighten up the drag on a reel and rotate the spool against the drag. This will enable you to "feel" the power and smoothness. Tighten up a little more and repeat. This gives you an idea as to the progression of the drag take-up (you do'nt want one or two clicks to engage full drag, neither do you want more than a revolution of the drag knob to go form zero to full drag).

Also size of drag knob is important. Bigger is better. Listen to the sound of the outgoing click. I love a zzz sound rather than a grrrr sound.

neither do you want more than a revolution of the drag knob to go form zero to full drag).
    Neil, are you sure?.. Im told by some pretty experienced salt water, big fish guys, that the slower the drag tightens, the better it is to regulate the drag. This is one reason why Abel is apparently so good, they are slower to tighten the drag

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Neil, are you sure?.. Im told by some pretty experienced salt water, big fish guys, that the slower the drag tightens, the better it is to regulate the drag. This is one reason why Abel is apparently so good, they are slower to tighten the drag
    I just checked my reels Andre. Apologies. 1 turn to full is what my worst reels are. Abel is 1.75 turns, Hatch is about 3 turns, 3 Tand is about 4, colton is about 2. There are some locally made reels that have a coarse thread on the drag and tighten up too quickly. Abel is ok in this regard although an improvement could be a larger drag button.

The approx 1 turn is more or less from the drag position whilst stripping to cast and to the max drag chosen for a designated tippet size. Point here is that too coarse a thread and the take-up is too fast whilst the converse is also not too clever.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast