Thread: what backing for saltwater do you guys prefer?

Default what backing for saltwater do you guys prefer?

Hi guys just got a saltwater outfit 8/9wt. so what backing do you guys prefer? i know that with gel spun you can get more on the reel than with dacron. I have 200 yards of 30pound dacron on my reel. should i keep it or switch?

Don't think there's something wrong with dacron. Unless you need the extra distance I'll keep it if I were you. I just put 30lb dacron on my 8wt setup as well

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Depends what you chasing and what size reel you have

I have used Dacron on my smaller outfits (6-9 wts) with no issues for years (broken rods and fly lines but backing held firm)
    Dacron knots well and seems to be a bit more chafe resistant than spectra/gel spun definitely safer on the fingers
    If you can get enough on your reel it will be fine

One of the main issues with the super lines is knotting
    I have found that old faithful mono knots like the Bimini and Albright fail at way under the rating

if you are going the spectra road there is only one brand and that's jerry brown
    It's hollow so you can use a splicing needle and make loops which are 100%
    It's also super thin so drag isn't an issue just keep your hands clear ;0)

Tight lines
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Just test it for decay, sun and salt does negatively impact dacron after a few years. A simple tug test is sufficient.

For a 8/9WT and the length of backing, I think your decision should be motivated by your intended quarry. For Leeries, Kob and baby Kingies, you hardly need more than 100yds.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

thanks guys. i think i will buy an extra spool with gel spun and fly line on it. i will fish for leeries and queenies most of the time.but i go to Moz often so the spare spool with more backing will come in handy. i have an explorer xpla 2 reel its a 9/10 wt. its full to the max with dacron and i will not be able to get even 50yards more on it