Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader & tippet lifespan

Default Leader & tippet lifespan

How long can you keep your leader and tippet material before you have to replace it? I would also like to know how long shops keep their stock before replacing it, I have quite a few leader packets that are unopened but a few years old. Are they still good? Also does getting it wet affect it?

Best is to just test them Izak. Tie a knot and pull. I have had new leaders snap with every knot I tied and others that I have used after 10 years without a problem. Storing them in a cool, dark cupboard helps.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Sunlight kills mono and co-polymer lines, I don't think moisture has much of an effect.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Bought 700 mono leaders from China about 2 years ago stored in cool dry place still going strong.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Never had a problem with tippet material , some several years old. Some brands however do seem to be better than others in terms of general strength and knot strength.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Best to store mono/nylon/co-polymer in a cool, dry place -heat, sunlight and moisture will affect breaking strength over time. Replace after 2 years - which is why it is best not to overstock.
    Fluoro is best stored the same way, but lasts pretty much forever.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I try to not reuse the leader/tippet and make up new ones every day before fishing. I have seen that a days fishing on the vaal can weaken them a lot, and you get break offs a lot.

8. Default

There are some debates about the way this works, but here is what we know.
    (I'll do this in the way we think about them.)

Monofilament
    Once mono has seen UV light it starts to degraded, this process begins when it is exposed to UV light and cannot be stopped or slowed down, even when removed from UV light, it will continue. It is something to do with the way the polymer is compounded and once it starts the degradation process, it will continue. The rule is that it will lose as much as up to 50% of its breaking strain in 6 months, but will almost definitely have lost 50% in 12 months.
    But fear not - most of the better brands of tippet include UV inhibitors in their packaging. So in theory, it should only start its degradation once it has been taken off the spool.
    But it is relevantly inexpensive compared to fluorocarbon, and should be replaced on a yearly basis, at least.
    The general rule is.
    - Replace your tippet before your days fishing.
    - Replace your leader at least every 3 months or before your next fishing trip.
    Monofilament = 12 month half-life, 10 year life.

Fluorocarbon
    Fluorocarbon is not as servery affected by UV, the theory is that it is unaffected during its "fishing" life.
    Although fluoro is more expensive that mono, we advise part time fishers, that it is more logical to buy it, as it will not degrade between fishing trips.
    Fluorocarbon = 10 years half-life, 100 year life.

There are many other factors to consider when you purchase tippet. Not just the length of life.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    - Replace your tippet before your days fishing.
    - Replace your leader at least every 3 months or before your next fishing trip.
    I think it depends on the species you are targeting and how hard you are on your leaders. I fish every weekend for nine months and I usually change my leaders every 18-24 months. I change my tippet every single time I fish and regularly check my tippet for abrasion.

here is an interesting article: http://www.stroft.de/test_gtm_english.pdf
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

On the Vaal, in summer I use a 1X leader and either 3X or 5X tippet. They are both Mono, and I strip them after every trip, ( if they have survived the day ) and build a new leader, dropper rig the next time I'm on the water, which is usually the next weekend.
    In winter, I may use a 0X leader twice or maybe 3 times, depending on where I'm fishing and the abrasion, and what I'm fishing for. For SM on dry in winter I use 2X straight leader ( actually tippet ) and a 3 or 5 X tippet, changed every week,
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast