Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes Maclear area over December

Default Rhodes Maclear area over December

Hi Guys

I have booked a few days in Rhodes over new years. It will be my first time to this area. What kind of weather should we expect same as the highveld with late afternoon showers? If so will the river clarity still be gin clear or do they get a bit murky that time of the year.

Another question has anyone been to Vrederus farm lately i am booking a few days there to? What is the fishing and farm like. What i have read it seem really awesome place

Thanx

Regards
    Eddie
    Carpe Diem

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Hi Guys

I have booked a few days in Rhodes over new years. It will be my first time to this area. What kind of weather should we expect same as the highveld with late afternoon showers? If so will the river clarity still be gin clear or do they get a bit murky that time of the year.

Another question has anyone been to Vrederus farm lately i am booking a few days there to? What is the fishing and farm like. What i have read it seem really awesome place

Thanx

Regards
    Eddie
    Over that period in can be hit-and-hope to be honest Eddie. That is rainy season for us, but, there will always be a fishable stream nearby (or if you are willing to travel a bit). The headwaters mostly stay clear, or clear within a day even in this period.

I'll give some more details in a mail (plus the other reply) tonight once I'm home)
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ok cool thanx i will appreciate it!
    Carpe Diem

I was in Rhodes last year over Christamas and New year, and we had awesome fishing. Conditions weren't perfect everywhere, as the drought had broken only a few weeks before, but if you choose your fishing carefully according to conditions, you will find the fishing to be very good. Speak to the locals for the best advice. Its not always easy to change your fishing plans at short notice, as its high season in Rhodes, and the good beats will be booked in advance for the various clients of the guides. We found that Fred and Tony had block booked the good beats for their clients, and we couldn't get onto them, unless they had a cancellation. But having said that, there are hundreds of Kilometers of fishing waters, so you are bound to find a good beat, just be prepared to travel.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Hi Eddie

Here is a link to an article I did on a December trip, hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fi...highlands.html

Cheers

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I was in Rhodes last year over Christamas and New year, and we had awesome fishing. Conditions weren't perfect everywhere, as the drought had broken only a few weeks before, but if you choose your fishing carefully according to conditions, you will find the fishing to be very good. Speak to the locals for the best advice. Its not always easy to change your fishing plans at short notice, as its high season in Rhodes, and the good beats will be booked in advance for the various clients of the guides. We found that Fred and Tony had block booked the good beats for their clients, and we couldn't get onto them, unless they had a cancellation. But having said that, there are hundreds of Kilometers of fishing waters, so you are bound to find a good beat, just be prepared to travel.
    Hi Andre

I am afraid that is always the case, the same in April May, but there is a shit ton of water, and when people say good beats / bad beats, I can never say I have had a bad beat. In my experience, Fred books the beats that are easier to fish, have bigger fish and are closer and Tony books the skinny water or Kraai for yellows. But its not like there is any "bad water" I have fish many of the beats and while the classics like Chase, Balloch, etc will be booked, its always fun to explore new water. Anyway, you are at the mercy of the weather in December, you go where ever there is clear water. I think the worst water you can fish is possible Newstead or Claremont, and they are still awesome!!

I agree Jade. When the rivers are flowing strong, the Kloppershoek, and other waters upstream from the town are good. When its low, best to head towards the lower beats. Always somewhere to fisnd good water.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

8. Default

Over WTA 35 beats to book, about 12 other beats you can fish by arranging with the farmers directly, and 4 beats/sections that someone who has the skinny needs to take you. That being said, always just 5 or 6 beats being mentioned and booked

Hamilton and Upper Hamilton is a must, so is Burnbrae, Ruth Ven, Tullyveolen, Kelvin Grove, Black Rock and still many more!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Agreed Andre!

Its actually quite amazing - I think I have spent a total of maybe 8 weeks all together fishing the area - and I try not to fish the same water twice unless I am in love with that stream / beat - and there is still so much water I have not fished, I dont think I have fished a third of the beats available through the WTA alone. Saying that, I always seem to be falling in love with sections of water I fish. Hillbury is amazing, Gateshead is just something else, sections of the kraai blow my mind, the upper bell is beautiful, the Diep is stark and open. Man, I love the NEC.

Blog Entries

Only 35! It seems like so much more. It would be an amazing challenge to do all 35 back to back . . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast