Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

Hi all

I'm Peter from pretoria.I have been fly fishing for a few years,but only recently really got into it.I'm 17 so i try to save money where I canHere's an example:I use a clamp I found in our garage to tie flies.Here are some examples of my creations:

Three tail nymph.jpg
    V-tail nymph.jpg
    Grub.jpg
    Caddis pupae.jpg

Where in Pretoria are you?
    If you could make a list of what you need right now to improve your flyfishing/flytying experience what would it be?

Peter, that's brilliant. Well done on tying such awesome flies without a vise. I know a guy who ties amasing flies with a long nose pliers and rubber bands.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hey Peter, your flies are impressively neat creations. That attention to detail will serve you well in fly fishing

I don't know if you've tried this yet but next time you are on a stream hold a little aquarium net with fine mesh in the water and turn over a few stones upstream of the net to see what washes into the net - study those and even take some macro pics if you can. It's also worth dropping the nymphs and goggas you catch into a smooth glass jar filled with water to see what they look like under water. Things to look out for: Do many have high contrasting colours between head/thorax section and tail/abdomen section? What are the colours when you hold the jar up to the lighter sky and look through the little bodies?

Carful matching the hatch is awesome if you actually have a reasonable match in your fly box, but if not the fish can often deliberately reject a very realistic copy of some or other insect they are not eating at that time. Then sometimes a totally scruffy dubbed nondescript nymph pattern say dull grey or light brown or even olive can be sufficiently close "impression" of the predominant food supply of the moment to get an eat. Tie them in different weights too - heavier ones for faster/deeper water.

And if none of that works whip out the woolly buggers - I'm sure yours look brilliant too!
    The highest form of existence is play.

Hi there. Well done on the flies.

I have a spare vice that I would be glad to donate to you. If you are interested please pm me your contact details and I will courier it to you.

Thanks for all the cool replies.

William that sounds like a nice technique.I have tried matching the hatch at on the rocks because I've seen some of the nymphs there.I wasn't really searching for them,I just sorta found one.I was fishing and hooked a stick,when I reached to unhook my fly I realized that it was actually a real nymph.I,of course,kept my cool and didn't mind that I almost FREAKING TOUCHED IT!!!Ok I'm not really THAT squirmish.:biggrin:

Guys, whose got an old vice lying around to donate to the young fella?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

I think Jean has already offered?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Sorry, jumped the gun. Good on you Jean
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

2 replies on getting MrSnek kitted out - lucky fellow. Hoping he replies before the offers are withdrawn
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast