Thread: Late Season Tigers

Default Late Season Tigers

Hi Guys and Girls.

Just a quick question about your opinions on fishing the Zambezi (around Sekoma) in early to mid November. Have any of you out there fished there at that time of year?

Thanks alot for the help!

Kev
    Gooi Mielies

I have fished that area before, but never later than September. I don't see why November shouldn't be just as good. There are always tons of fish there. The only problems you might pick up, would be the heat....Man it gets hot there.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Kevin,

Water levels might also be quite high, with the start of the rainy season in the catchment. If all is stable, the fishing should be good.

Thanks for the advice!

Tight lines,

Kevo
    Gooi Mielies

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Not sure about that stretch of Zambezi. I'm about 100 km from the source of the Zambezi and we used to get our best tigers between Dec and Feb in the local rivers. The nation wide (Zambia) fishing ban is now enforced so we don't get to fish over that period anymore.

Live in Notties, work in Zambia.
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    The nation wide (Zambia) fishing ban is now enforced so we don't get to fish over that period anymore.
    Please elaborate?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Yup, looks like no fishing is allowed for December, January and February. Must be something new. also mentioned on the Wildtracks site. This is the first I hear of it. Other lodge sites still advertise fishing all year round. http://www.wildtracks-zambia.com/
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Please elaborate?
    "NATIONAL FISH BAN

Please be advised that there is a national fishing ban in effect from December 1st to the end of February every year in Zambia. This fishing ban is nationwide and applies to all bodies of water.
    The National Fish Ban is enforced by the Department of Fisheries in the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock through the Fisheries Act of 2011, Cap. 200 of the Laws of Zambia.
    It is an offence for anyone to fish or attempt to catch fish during the ban. Anyone caught fishing can be prosecuted accordingly by the Department of Fisheries.

The purpose of the fish ban is to allow natural fish populations to spawn without interruption."
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder