Thread: Advice for Durban harbour (Wilsons warf Yatch Moll area)

Cool Advice for Durban harbour (Wilsons warf Yatch Moll area)

Hi Guys

New to the Forum and to Salt water fly fishing, Was wondering what tactics fellow Durbanites are using in the Harbour? Went down yesterday morning for about 4 hours but no luck, got some interest from a few Garfish off the wharf by the yacht moll, but that's about it, was using Jerry glasses and Crazy Charlies with floating line and a 9 ft leader throwing into the channel.

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Off to Bellwood Cottage for the long weekend so lets hope i can hook into some sweet trout while im up there.

Cheers
    Rowan

Fishing the pier at Bat Centre is worthwhile - it's unfortunately filthy (as in litter everywhere and rats and bugs scuttling around) but if you can get onto the end of the pier (often baities around) and cast left into the channel / drop-off area you will likely get fish. I like a dropping tide into dark. Myself and mates have got kingies, lesser spotted queenfish, torpedo scads and walla walla - not on fly mind but smaller flies on a fast sinker will work fine. Also try a popper - kings work close against the pier as the light fades. At full dark with low water you can fish small luminous flies on a sinking line if you fancy a species bash. The area around the floating dock holds walla walla - they aren't great fighters but they'll wallop a fly hard. Hooking them isn't easy - suggest small fine wire hooks - a double hook small streamer likely your best bet. Just don't hook a local...

The rockwall in front of Wilsons (basically it encloses the basin) is worth a look on a low tide in the evening. There are very big perch in the Wilsons basin - over a kilo - and if you can get a fly to the rocks under the restaurant you might get one. I always planned to sneak into the Wilson's basin very early in the morning to fish the rockwall under the restaurants but never got around to it. The flat adjacent the drop-off between the block and the Wilson's rockwall has lots of smaller perch and gurnards - again fish the last couple of hours of a dropping tide into dark in that area with small Charlies and you'll get fish. Don't wade too deep or you'll get eaten by a Zambie...
    Last edited by allsorts; 13-12-14 at 11:01 AM.

Howsit thanks for the response been down a couple times now. Lost a fly and a garfish this morning fly was a "bay candy" with a mono tippet, garfish bit straight through my tippet after I hooked him gave a nice little fight even got some airtime. Will definetly try those spots, been wading just over my knees around the concrete block. Will definetly try your advice thanks.

Talking about wading was watching these 3 fools pumping crackers on the bank chest deep in water with a basket , pump and plastic packets was just waiting for them to get chowed, tide must have been nearly high.