Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Favourite Smallstream Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Chris, if the line has too much memory, perhaps you should think about a reel with a larger arbour. What reel are you using.
    I know that Neil had this problem with yis 000 wt line on an Abel TR light, and then changed to a Sage 3100, end of problem I understand. Perhaps Neil should comment here.
    I have the Abel TR1 but it is not so much the reel Andre, it is my retrieve. I like a line with instant memory loss when I figure 8.

fig8.jpg

The Sage 000 tends to bunch up a bit when I come to cast the line off my thumb. I don't find the same problem with my Orvis Springcreek for example.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Ok, I see the problem, firstly, you are probably fishing the pools, this is why you have so much line out, and are retrieving. Obviously, pockets and runs dont need require this form of retrieve, as you are fishing them much closer.
    with your figure eight retrive, why not try dropping the line with every pass of the fingers, rather than twisting it around your fingers, this may help.
    Bear in mind, I have not yet used my 000, any will reserve judgment on the line until I have had the chance to test it properly, but I understand the Sage line has very little memory properties. John at Upstream, will give you more info on this if you need it.

I have been lead to believe that Sage have their lines made for them by RIO. I have a Sage DT #3 line and a Rio Pocketwater PW3 line. I also have a Cortland 333 WF #3 line. The Rio and Sage are much worse when it comes to memory, and i have had these all on the same reels. The Rio lines I have owned for any lineweight have always had the worst memory problems. With lineweights 0 and smaller you obviously have no options, but if there were options, I would take the one not produced by Rio.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Ja, I heared this, , there is nothing to compare it to. I would also rather not use Rio lines, but in this case we have no choice. There are a few things that can be tried, like giving it a streatch before use, lager arbour reel, etc.
    As i said, I have yet to use mine, so cant comment too much at this stage

Ok, I see the problem, firstly, you are probably fishing the pools, this is why you have so much line out, and are retrieving. Obviously, pockets and runs dont need require this form of retrieve, as you are fishing them much closer.
    with your figure eight retrive, why not try dropping the line with every pass of the fingers, rather than twisting it around your fingers, this may help.
    Bear in mind, I have not yet used my 000, any will reserve judgment on the line until I have had the chance to test it properly, but I understand the Sage line has very little memory properties. John at Upstream, will give you more info on this if you need it.
    I think it is time you come and fish with me to understand fully Andre

I use this retireve ALL THE TIME on the streams, in fast water or slow, short or long.....this is my way of staying on the move, line perfectly controlled on my hand ALL THE TIME! Nobody else that I know does this......and the one person who did is long deceased. The secret to this method, is a line with no memory.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I agree, I dont really understand the problem, as I very seldom have line memory problems. Perhaps because I fish the streams quite close, but whem making longer casts, also not really a problem. As soon as the streams open, we there, alternatively, we must arrange a Larkies day soon.

I agree, I dont really understand the problem, as I very seldom have line memory problems. Perhaps because I fish the streams quite close, but whem making longer casts, also not really a problem. As soon as the streams open, we there, alternatively, we must arrange a Larkies day soon.
    Sounds great Andre, you're on!

Just back to the line control thing, I like the figure 8 because it prevents my line from ever trailing. The other method you mentioned, of dropping the coils would completely defeat the object. This method is great in that the line is always contained in my hand, allowing me to fish on the move without having to retrieve trailing line first. It also allows me to cast directly off the thumb with a simple pinch and release technique (anybody got a name for this that I should know about? )
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 17-06-07 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

Just back to the line control thing, I like the figure 8 because it prevents my line from ever trailing. The other method you mentioned, of dropping the coils would completely defeat the object. This method is great in that the line is always contained in my hand, allowing me to fish on the move without having to retrieve trailing line first. It also allows me to cast directly off the thumb with a simple pinch and release technique (anybody got a name for this that I should know about? )
    I often use that retrieve and way of controlling line (casting straight off my hand) when fishing my floater and small nymphs. I have a Sci Angler gpx floater and it doesn't have any memory issues when doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

So you've lost your memory and you want it limp? Guess you're gonna have to "Thumb it in"? There's a good name for it...
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    I often use that retrieve and way of controlling line (casting straight off my hand) when fishing my floater and small nymphs. I have a Sci Angler gpx floater and it doesn't have any memory issues when doing this.
    Thanks for the tip Shaun. Finding a line that suits the fig8 has always been a problem for me and I'm glad to find somebody else at last who shares the same problem.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011