Thread: New to flyfishing, and the Western Cape

Default New to flyfishing, and the Western Cape

Hi all,

I'm from Notties and I'm on contract for six months in the Western Cape (fire fighting pilot), alternating between Bredasdorp and Newlands. I'm quite new to fly fishing, but I can say that I'm like a sponge trying to soak up as much information as possible. My credit card shakes in my wallet whenever I walk past a fishing shop. So far I've caught trout, bass, and carp and I can't wait to try my hand at catching other fish, including saltwater. It's taken me many years to get back into fishing, I used to fish quite a bit as a youngster, but as per all things, life gets in the way. Now it seems that my life is only about trying to find places to fish.

I'm getting two weeks off shortly and would really like to spend most of it exploring the waters of the Cape instead of spending a fortune trying to get back home to Notties for such a short time. I have my own transport and will be staying in Newlands and was wondering if anyone can point me to a reasonably priced guide to travel around looking for fishing spots. As I mentioned I'm not the most clued up yet, so someone with a bit of patience would really help. I'd like to learn as much as possible.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce
    Sent you a PM.
    Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension