Thread: Goto Combos for trout

Default Goto Combos for trout

Hi everyone,

A friend and I were having a (rather spirited) discussion on fly selection and tactics recently. It struck me that due to a combination of experience and beliefs (read: the books we reference) each of us had a few goto tactics and flies for fishing for trout on still water. for me its the following:
    1. Early morning on water where no other fishers have been that day yet, Its the inlet with a boyant dryfly stripped along the surface
    2. once that stops its a combo of nymhps (GRHE and PTN are my goto with an alternate PTN / Zak Nymph which I tie and will post soon)
    3. If there is wind, and the temperature rises, it's a DDD on the 'wind line' whether there are raises or not. My biggest trout (a 2.8kg KZN rainbow) was in November, 12:30 in the afternoon, 30deg caught on a nr /8 DDD... If no wind, its a red eye damsel or combo of dragon fly nymph patterns along the weed beds
    4. Late afternoon its a dry and nymph combo, unless one can match the hatch, then it tends to be a dry / emerger only.
    5. At or close to sunset - it's the biggest DDD i can find or tie, once the evening hatch has passed.

All on a floating line with colours and sizes matching the conditions. If fishing deep i would add a deepwater damsel as a point fly to get the line to depth. This goes for most seasons, but in real cold weather I'll change to bait fish pattern or focus more on terrestrials.

this way I can fish from sunup to sundown with none of this breaking for lunch malarkey :-). This would be an ideal day, where I am catching the odd fish. Other days where you can't buy a fish, it's all of the above with a healthy dose of woolly bugger in the mix.

I would love to know the other guys' 'goto moves' for trout. Call it information sharing (read: shameless stealing of other tactics). If nothing else the vast array of tactics might surprise us all. The conditions in the theoretical exercise applicable here are South African lakes / dams, with healthy populations of all common water and terrestrial food sources.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jhhugo; 13-01-15 at 02:21 PM.

My standard setup that I start on any dam, only the line weight will vary, from dam to dam or depth of dam, is as follows
    Point Goldilocks
    1st dropper Corixia or short stubby Olive wooly bugger (perfect imitation of dragon fly nymph)
    top dropper Carrot fly or orange/yellow blob.

From this I will then experiment and change.
    Wet flies on 1st dropper or small Goldilocks etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie, I was just reading the old SBS for the Goldilocks. do you fish that on a floating line too?

Any line, floater, intermediate, sinking etc.
    Because the weight in the fly, you can wait a bit for the retrieve.
    The longer you count down, the deeper it fishes. obviously, if you retrieve past, it will lift out of the water column.

if I fish it on a floating line, I will on the first cast start retreiving immedtiately.
    Second cast, I will count to 5, 3rd cast to 10 etc.
    Be careful with the counting, as you can start to count much faster. than what you think.

I use the Thousand and one or the Afrikaans version "Een Krododil, twee krokodil, drie krokodil........" Makes the counting a bit more interesting.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

You will be very surprised how the fish can be in a very specific band.
    2 weeks ago, we fished a dam, the fish was between 20cm and 80cm deep.
    you retreived the flies on or just under the surface- NOTHING.
    and deeper than 80cm nothing.
    Once on Lakensvlei, the fish was on exactly 20 count down.
    As you said 20, on the count down, then you were on.

So make sure you get the your countdown, right, and it will help a lot with the fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Excellent advice, thank Korrie.