Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bontebok National Park

Default Bontebok National Park

Hi guys,
    I will be spending the weekend at Bontebok National Park this weekend. Will be trying the Breede, but I have no clue about species, or locations.So, just wanted to know if anyone has fished there, and if there might be any trout in the area, or maybe you could give me a few pointers on other species that might show some interest on fly?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Thumbs up

Big Carp !! I was not fly fishing but one fish was so big I jumped into the water and held it cradelled in two arms before releasing.
    Look out for the nest of a secretary bird in a thorn tree, mind you it is a bit early, its a great place for bird watching, enjoy.

There may be some early Large Mouth Bass activity. Fishing slowly using big flies may produce results if you work at it. It's still very cold though.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

There used to be some moonies that held in the rapidy section just below the upper camp site area (check the map when you get there). Cast bugger type flies downstream and rip it back up the rapids and you should get some if they are there.

I promise this is not a joke!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Even more fun than buggers is using tiny poppers for them. If they are there there are lots of them and they are great fun on a three weight. Otherwise if you fish at night you catch lots of barble, mostly small though and not on fly. There are some huge carp there too wich are really strong for carp. You just got to be patient and you will catch them (also not on fly). Caught a 7 kilo one there on bass tackle wich took me half an hour to land. If you get up really early and go to the picnic sight about 5km from the camp sites and then swim across the river and stand on the rocks there are thousands of big freshwater mullet actively rising usually. I have also sight cast to bass there (in summer) and caught plenty of bluegill.

Don't expect to get anything on fly there in winter unless you fid the moonies, but if you are prepared to chuck chicken liver at night and mielie pap during the day you can have plenty of fun.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

i would imagine small mouth bass should be around in the rapids as well. will give you a nice rev on a fly rod that's for sure.

I tried for bass quite a lot there. I was sure that there would be smallmouth bass in the rapids, but I caught none. I have paddled 60 km down the breede and the park is the only place I saw no fish activity in the rapids. If you go to the picnic site there are some bass but not right in front by the campsite. I suppose it is because of all of the guys that keep bass that they catch. Not that I release smallmouth bass in our rivers.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Wow guys, thank you so much for all the information! looks like i might stand a chance of hooking into someting fishy!
    One last question, when going for the moonies (if there are any) what weight rod will i need?

many thanks,
    Nick.

Red face Some quick feedback on my fishing Jan 2015

Hi,

My first visit to the Park that always makes it difficult - also had family responsibilities.

I went out the first day (2 hours - down-stream) looking for large small-mouth bass and blanked. However, saw some large carp and a few other smaller fish taking insects off the water. Also saw some large barbel. Decided to scale down and scale up the next day - again down-stream and some 3 hours. Used a 3#, small black and peacock woolly bugger and caught 2 x 60 - 65 cm carp within the first 10 min - an otter that swam past 10 m away while fighting the first was an added bonus.. Then a cape moonie and later a few small small-mouth bass. Then got broken up by a large barbel some 1 km down-stream. Next afternoon went upstream, but wasted a lot of time in the shallows. Eventually got to a very long pool. Got broken up by a large small-mouth. Then had a blue gill on that was chased and eaten by a barbel - I now had a 80 - 100 cm barbel on - got broken up again! Some more blue gill and then found a large shallow expense of water with many carp. Did not hook anything as I was out of time. Bottom line: adapt to circumstances and you can still have some fun!

Next time I will be better informed and prepared.

Regards
    Niel

Interesting trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast