Thread: Lazarus banks on fly

Default Lazarus banks on fly

Hi guys. I am going to Lazarus banks next year and I need some advise. I was looking at taking a 12w setup but do you think it will be to light ,must I maybe look at going to 15w? What kind of flies would be best to take there. Would your normal Saltwater patterns be good like clouser's, Decievers those type of things and in what colours?

Your guys help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to go there unprepared for this trip of a life time.

Regards Eddie
    Carpe Diem

Hi Eddie,
    On our trip last year we fished pantaloon off the mozambique coast with among other fly tackle. We fished 12wt setups with fast sinking lines. We had a fair amount of sucsess and would certainly advise on taking it along. With regards to 12 or 15wt I cant really say. Bigger is propably better. We fished heavily weighted clousers mostly. And tied big aswell. Colours depends on water colour I believe. But you can never go wrong with chartreuse and white offshore.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Default St Lazarus Banks on Fly

Quote Originally Posted by ed_cik View Post
    Hi guys. I am going to Lazarus banks next year and I need some advise. I was looking at taking a 12w setup but do you think it will be to light ,must I maybe look at going to 15w? What kind of flies would be best to take there. Would your normal Saltwater patterns be good like clouser's, Decievers those type of things and in what colours?

Your guys help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to go there unprepared for this trip of a life time.

Regards Eddie
    HI Eddie

12 weight's will be fine. I never used my 15 weight there, too cumbersome. Fast Sinking lines, big heavy flies, any baitfish imitation such as heavy clousers, heavy brush flies, heavy flashy profiles all on strong hooks. Any colour worked, but black, tan, white, chartreuse, red, were good, and pink or blue tube flies for sailfish

We caught GT's, Bluefin trevally , sailfish, dogtooth tuna, yellowfin tuna, and various others such as rainbow runners, jobfish and Bohar snappers on fly as well. NB to take conventional tackle as well (although your boat operator should have the necessary for trawling), I would suggest taking a good popping outfit and a good vertical jigging outfit (since the conditions are not right for flyfishing all the time, you will have many more options if you are prepared!)
    Have fun, it will be a great trip!
    Regards
    Petrus

15/16w rods have more lifting capacity or backbone than a 12...

In my experience, you can use any colour as long as it's pink.