Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help starting out

Default Need help starting out

Hi guys im Carlos from centurion area im looking to try my hand at some flyfishing... Could you guys please advice me in which route to go and what i should start with i have seen combos at the shops... Budget would be around 1500-2000 to get started if possible to give me a option or 2 that will fit into my budget... Thanks guys
    Sent from inside my tank

I knw everyone here digs their yellows... Here is a large mouth i caught on the vaal
    Sent from inside my tank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fishy... still cant bring myself to fish in water that dirty, but good for you, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosF View Post
    I knw everyone here digs their yellows... Here is a large mouth i caught on the vaal
    Sent from inside my tank
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Nice fishy... still cant bring myself to fish in water that dirty, but good for you, well done.
    True i much prefer the waters of sterfontein... It was much more dirty after all the rain we had last year think thats why it was so dirty...

So no one have any advice for me?

5. Default

Have you previously fished Sterkfontein and for that largie with non-fly stuff?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Have you previously fished Sterkfontein and for that largie with non-fly stuff?

Yes i have fished sterkfontein 4 times but it was just conventional fishing and speciman angling... Caught lodads of fish like that... The fish in the above photo was caught with boilie and pop up.. But i wana try something else now thats why i want give fly fishing a go... But i just need a idea of where to start and what to buy

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosF View Post
    Yes i have fished sterkfontein 4 times but it was just conventional fishing and speciman angling... Caught lodads of fish like that... The fish in the above photo was caught with boilie and pop up.. But i wana try something else now thats why i want give fly fishing a go... But i just need a idea of where to start and what to buy
    http://www.thevillageangler.co.za/specials.html

Maybe a good place to start?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Some of the fly shops in Gauteng offers weekly fishing excursions to the Vaal, at no cost.
    Join a couple of the trips.
    You will meet good fishing partners, learn a lot, try new tackle before you buy, learn new fishing waters etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Thanks guys... Are these xplrorer combo good or must i look at single pieces or wont single pieces fit into my budget.... Just looking for something that will be able to do something of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Some of the fly shops in Gauteng offers weekly fishing excursions to the Vaal, at no cost.
    Join a couple of the trips.
    You will meet good fishing partners, learn a lot, try new tackle before you buy, learn new fishing waters etc

Thanks i will look into this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast