Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Whats the issue with trawling for trout in dams?

  1. #1

    Default Whats the issue with trawling for trout in dams?

    Hi guys

    I dont do it because its "frowned upon" by the fly fishing community.
    I often get asked why its not accepted and why is it so effective?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    909

    Default

    who frowns on it?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

  3. #3

    Default

    It has always been frowned upon when fishing off a boat or float tube.
    One example is Giants cup outside underberg (Wolf Avni)...fishing rules states this clearly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    It has always been frowned upon when fishing off a boat or float tube.
    One example is Giants cup outside underberg (Wolf Avni)...fishing rules states this clearly.
    I personally don't see a problem with it, everybody enjoys their fair bit of trawling from time to time.

    If I am fishing a large dam and have decided to move from one spot to another there is no way I won't be trawling.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I personally don't see a problem with it, everybody enjoys their fair bit of trawling from time to time.

    If I am fishing a large dam and have decided to move from one spot to another there is no way I won't be trawling.
    i totally agree,i cant see any harm in doing it...i have caught fish this way when its been the only fish of the day

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    i totally agree,i cant see any harm in doing it...i have caught fish this way when its been the only fish of the day
    It also doesn't always work, I have had days when they wont touch a trawled flight but eat when its being retrieved!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town South Africa
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    I don't say I caught a fish trolling.... I say I caught it "whilst preparing to cast".... sounds better.... :-)
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

    Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town South Africa
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    PS - Not to be a stickler here, but I hope you are referring to "Trolling" which is towing a lure/fly behind a moving boat/float tube etc and not "Trawling" which is the towing of large nets behind a boat to capture all manner of fish in huge numbers....

    If you are "Trawling for trout", then even I, the most un purist fisherman on here, would probably have an issue with it....
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

    Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    I didn't know it was "frowned upon".... and its trolling... not trawling.
    I know why its effective though, its like a constant retrieve always being in touch with the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi guys

    I dont do it because its "frowned upon" by the fly fishing community.
    I often get asked why its not accepted and why is it so effective?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yes trolling,not trawling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •