Thread: Fishing Gauteng in Summer

Default Fishing Gauteng in Summer

Hi all

I am new to the fly fishing game.
    I am originally from Cape Town and have been fishing my entire life mostly see fishing and dropshot.

I moved up to Gauteng a few years ago and have taken up fly fishing.

I went to kloofzicht last week and had absolutely no luck. Fished morning noon and night.
    Alot of the times I was dropping flies directly in front of the trout but they weren't interested.

Does anybody have any advice for fishing trout in summer as I am going to be going again soon and would like to get my line pulled.

I used red-eye damsels , white deaths , wooly buggers but the fish didn't take them. There was alot of porpoising all around me but was way out of my casting reach.

Thanks

personally i think one should leave the trout fishing in summer. rather target other species like bass, yellows, kurper to keep the addiction at bay.

Hey Stanton!

Yeah, trout can be tricky. The place to be now is in the Vaal looking for Yellowfish. Summer everyone targets yellows and in Winter, trout. The techniques used are very different, let me know if I can give you some pointers for a beginner.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I don't know the venue that you were fishing, so correct me please if I am wrong, but Im assuming it is a small stocked dam venue. If this is the case, then yellows would probably behave the same under similar circumstances.
    Also I have to disagree with Jade regarding the tactics for yellowfish and trout, The same tactics work for both, theres very little difference in the things that you have to do to catch either species. The main differences between the two species in this country, is the rivers that they are found in, but if they were found in the same places, there would be very little difference in the way that you would target them. Most of the techniques that we use in this country to catch yellowfish, were "borrowed" from the Europeans, who use them to great effect for trout anyway.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Fished Kloofzicht once, did not catch a fish. The place is stocked infrequently (as I understood) and receives a lot of traffic ito angling pressure. Carp abound as well in most of the dams - HUGE ones!!! Everyone in the group that went (breakfast and howzit outing with some fishing added) had a tough time, and commented that you had to fish small and more imitative patterns to get fish there.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Also I have to disagree with Jade regarding the tactics for yellowfish and trout, The same tactics work for both, theres very little difference in the things that you have to do to catch either species. The main differences between the two species in this country, is the rivers that they are found in, but if they were found in the same places, there would be very little difference in the way that you would target them. Most of the techniques that we use in this country to catch yellowfish, were "borrowed" from the Europeans, who use them to great effect for trout anyway.
    Fair enough Andre, but I found that czech nymphing in a stockie dam like Kloofzicht is pretty unsuccessful compared to in the Vaal :biggrin:

In a river, yes, they are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    but if they were found in the same places, there would be very little difference in the way that you would target them.
    Targeting single trout holding in a clear stream vs a roaming pod/school of yellows in the same clear stream requires a bit of change in tactics imho.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the Info guys.

I am mostly fishing still water dams for now until I get a bit better.

Hey Stan

Fishing stillwaters is like a bloody mystery, the more I fish them the more I realise how little I know. If you are in Jozi you have to try and get into catching some yellowfish in the Vaal. I never ever though I would say this, but I really miss nymphing for them just below the barrage.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 02-02-15 at 06:39 PM.